Bonhomme Richard found

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
A typical course in high school U.S. History does't begin to cover much about John Paul Jones, unfortunately. After the war for independence John Paul became a hired gun for other countries, including Russia, where he was known as Kontradmiral Pavel Ivanovich Jones.
This book "John Paul Jones" A Sailor's Biography by Samuel Morison, ~ 450 pages, is very well researched and a good read. Illustrations include the Battle off Flamborough Head with the Bonhomme Richard.
Also of interest is John Paul's service in the Black Sea to Catherine II, Empress of Russia, against Turkish warships in 1788.
IMG_8292.JPG

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
'But Sir, I have not yet begun to fight', i read that book one year to get my head right for doing a chicago-mac race.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Also another famous JPJ quote..
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."

Later shortened to...
Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm's way

John Paul Jones is interred in the USNaval Academy and I have seen it.
jpg-crypt.jpg

There is kind of a small chapel, very solemn, with his portrait. It is intended for Midshipmen to go and contemplate before deciding to "quit" the Academy.
"I have not yet begun to fight!"

In big letters under JPJ's portrait.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Next time they bring it up tell them, "You know I might have. In my other life." It will freak them out.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've been to the Naval Academy Chapel for John Paul Jones - my oldest brother is a graduate of USNA. Two books he suggested re JPJ are John Paul Jones by Evan Thomas and Six Frigates by Ian Toll. He says the latter is a better read. I have not yet begun to read either.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
I've been to the Naval Academy Chapel for John Paul Jones - my oldest brother is a graduate of USNA. Two books he suggested re JPJ are John Paul Jones by Evan Thomas and Six Frigates by Ian Toll. He says the latter is a better read. I have not yet begun to read either.
I'm currently re-reading Six Frigates. Meticulously researched, super well-written, highly recommended.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
This is a good time to read a book, especially in the northern latitudes.
Just did a search for Six Frigates and came across a NY Times review and even the review was a good read! Complete with numerous quotes.

The early years of the US Navy was interesting and Pres. Thomas Jefferson is mentioned not too kindly in Six Frigates and then again (also not too kindly) in The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks, another well researched and well written book. The part about the “Secret Mission of 1805” is an insight into how things were conducted even a couple centuries ago.
The USS Philadelphia ran aground in Tripoli harbor, headquarters for the Barbary pirates connected to the Ottoman Empire (Turkey today), and was subsequently captured by the arabs. What the captured ~300 crew went through for several years was horrific. Ransom was the way they did business then. The other nations paid ransom to get their ships and crews back but the new United States decided they wouldn't play that game. Another must read and will give an insight into today’s world affairs.

Another good book is From Merciless Invaders about the Spanish Armada by Alexander McKee. It is about the battle between the (then) greatest and richest world power, Spain, against unprepared England but what I got out of it is how the course of world history would have changed within in the matter of only a few hours due to running out of gunpowder!
IMG_8335.JPGIMG_8336.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I believe that Steven Decatur earned his fame in the attack on Tripoli of that era. This was written about in Kilmeade's book Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates, corroborates the system of ransom that existed in the early 19th century. Kilmeade was a bit rough in his treatment of TJ, who he portrays as reluctant to attack the "Pirates," instead preferred to attempt to unseat the potentate with an alliance with an ousted member of his family. Smart or timid? I have no idea. But it's interesting to note how history unfolded then. And how events of today aren't as new as we think.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
events of today aren't as new as we think.
I have often felt that as history was downgraded as a High school necessary curriculum course the quote from George Santayana would ring true... "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
... instead preferred to attempt to unseat the potentate with an alliance with an ousted member of his family. Smart or timid?
That was nearly successful, and is the origin of the line in the US Marines hymn, "to the shores of Tripoli". The story of William Eaton and the alliance with Hamet Karamanli and their 500 mile march across the desert, followed by the successful attack on Derne, only to be sold out by the US consul Tobias Lear, is amazing. Very far from "timid"!