Optimal angle of heel

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
What is the optimal angle of heel for a wing keel, tall rig Capri 22?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
As much as it is still fun (and the Admiral or guests don't start screaming/panicking)... I had water coming over the coaming into the cockpit once when I was literally staring down on the water standing sideways in the boat.

Obviously for racing purposes less heeling is usually better. I got told 5-15 degrees (I have a fin keel)...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You will trim the sails, and the boat will spring forward and heel over to an angle it likes, and you are "in the groove".

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Trim the boat for the excitement level you and your crew enjoy.
If you are racing, then trim the sails till you find the point at which the boat is sailing it's fastest.
Try to say it is 15 degrees today may confuse you as it may not be 15 degrees tomorrow.

Feb 16, 2017
My 2 cents,
Flat is not fast, the boat likes 12 degrees not more not less. The problem is with the hull design of the boat. If you look at the hull with the boat on the trailer the boat is fairly straight from the toe rail to below the waterline, especially at max beam.
If we sail the boat flat you're pushing both sides of the hull thru the water vs. 12 degrees of heel your pushing just one.
I will agree that any more heel and you start losing the efficiency of the keel. The reason is one feature of the Capri 22 is the interior volume of the boat, being the max beam is close to the waterline. The boat starts to lift up out the water and the boat decreases draft and the slips to leeward. You can see this happening while sailing, look at the transom and the rudder you'll see the waterline go to leeward of the rudder as the boat heels past 15 degrees.
With regards to the wing keel, your biggest issue is fore and aft issue. The boat inherently sails bow up due to the fullness of the boat's volume forward. By keeping weight forward keeping the bow down keeps the angle of attack at the wings from not dragging.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Thanks!! I know that dinghies sail fast when flat and keel boats need to heel a certain amount. I was hoping that someone would know that ideal angle for the Capri 22 with a wing keel.

So basically keep the boat at 12 degrees heel and crew weight a bit more forward than I would expect. I can't wait to try it out.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I have a B&G Vulcan 9 chartplotter on the bulkhead to give me speed, wind and depth data. So I should get pretty good feedback.

I bought a Speed Puck for my Laser (not class legal but I don't have anyone to race) so that I can get the feedback when sailing alone.

I agree, the best way to judge your performance is to see how much faster each adjustment is until you find what is fast.

Feb 16, 2017
Well, this is how I figured out how much heel to induce. I was noticing that when I sailed shorthanded in light air we were really fast had about 10-13 degrees of heel 5 knots true wind beating S2 7.9 boat for boat. Next week same conditions added 1 body sailed 4-6 degrees of heel. tragically slow. The 3 third week same conditions induced heel to beat them boat for boat. Research complete boat like 12 degrees of heel.
Best piece of equipment to have Zigg 100 for B&G Chartplotter it is an antenna. compass, inclinometer all in one.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
A quick internet search is not coming up with anything for Zigg 100. Can you give me a link?