Single handing the boat without roller furling

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh. You want to keep it nice and smooth... Remove the sail after use. Fold it and slip it into the bag. No wet sheets in the bag, they are hung in the lazarett or at home in a rope locker to dry. The sail will last for a long time. When going sailing set the sail up on the boat attached to the forestay lines lead through the blocks. Halyard attached. Then store the sail bag in it’s place in the boat. Sure it will take a bit longer, but it is time spent that pays off in a race. (Not the race to get to the bar first, the race for the pretty trophy).

Feb 16, 2017
Sure, since you asked, leaving a dacron sail on the deck will cause a few issues.
*cumbersome
*your right it will crumple the sail.
*tough to keep the sail dry thus create mold or mildew
*generally just not an effective way to deal with a sail in a bag on the deck.

But there is a solution. It is possible to set the boat up similar to other modern furling systems with our sized boats and still have the benefit of furling with complete control of headstay sag and all of the benefits of that. I just happen to have a couple of furler systems that can handle the load and eliminate all concerns.
I have considered doing this myself.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was hoping for a bag that would go over the sail with the sheet pulled taut and the sail roughly flaked based on the hanks being down.
You are looking for a sail cover, not a bag. You can have something like that custom made. It shouldn't be too complicated. Consider making it of a tough tight mesh like the material used for dive bags. Gives it a chance to breath and dry out.

I've been looking and can't find any reference to head stay sag for sail trim performance. Anyone suggest a good source?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We use hank on jibs on our C22. I don't singlehand, but the Admiral takes care of the sail changes by herself. Sails are roughly rolled up and stuffed below until we get home, then they are folded, bagged, and put back on board. No ill effects on the sails can be seen.

The biggest benefit to us is that we can always fly the right sail for the conditions we are in, from a 35 sq ft storm sail to a 177 sq ft, 180% drifter sail. Wind goes from 3 kts to 30, or vice versa? No problem, just change headsails and carry on. We carry five headsails in all. An adjustable backstay insures that the forestay tension is always correct.

I have tried rigging a downhaul, but it was always seemed to create more complication than convenience. Your mileage may vary.

It is worth noting that our C22 (and presumably your Capri 22) will heave to quite well under just the main in winds of ~15kts or above, which creates a safe, relaxing environment to do the swap. Also, on a broad reach or a run, you can ease the main out far enough to block the wind from the foredeck altogether, which allows for an easy headsail change while still under sail (requires an autopilot if singlehanding).

Having said all that, it IS a personal choice, with no wrong answer. If convenience is a high priority, and you don't mind just motoring in very light/very heavy air, then a furler is for you. We prefer to keep sailing ... as fast, safely and comfortably as possible.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm no expert on sails but when folding projection screens I never fold it the same way twice to avoid creases. My experience with hanked on jibs has me wanting a furler. As many of us know, 1-3' waves on Lake Michigan are typical. It can be challenging to crawl up to the bow to hank and/or hoist the jib. If conditions were really bad I would sit Indian style with my legs wrapped around the mast. Having a bag for the mast makes things a lot easier because you can leave it hanked on.

Make a decision based on what you think will give you the most enjoyable sailing experience

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sitting on the deck, legs crossed, sail being attended, one with the boat, wearing a pfd, that is sailing with nature.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sitting on the deck, legs crossed, sail being attended, one with the boat, wearing a pfd, that is sailing with nature.
I sailed nearly every summer day as a kid. It eventually became instinct. Often times what felt like the next best move and what my mind thought would be the next best move differed. My instinct was usually right and I was one with the boat and the wind

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
That looks interesting, but I was hoping that the bag would be long enough to lay the flaked sail in it without folding it shorter.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I think you want the bag off the deck to let the water drain out if you leave it on the boat for extended time. That was the concept explained to me.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think you want the bag off the deck to let the water drain out if you leave it on the boat for extended time
I was also thinking condensation might be an issue. I had a cheap nylon bag for my jib and rain nor condensation ever caused a problem. I did stow it below if I knew I wouldnt be there for a few days. The one drawback that you reminded me of is that you cant stow the jib in the bag if it got wet during a sail. I assume it'd be the same for a furled jib

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Just for overnight, we just throw some sail ties around the sail, holding it to the lifeline. The upside is it's ready to hoist at a moments notice in the morning (or at night if need be). The only drawback is that it does an astonishingly good job of blocking any breeze at all through the forward hatch. :banghead:

I have been eyeing that "yankee bag" for quite some time, in the hope of getting better breeze in the cabin. It'll take longer to stow the sail and longer to deploy it ... what is they always say about compromise??

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Less efficient comes from the headstay being to stiff. Roller furlers tend to stay straight and not sag in light air. Thus the sail is very flat. Sailmakers design the sails to have a certain amount of sag in the headstay, generally, sag would be around 4-6''.
The C&C 24 I had was fitted with a furler and an adjustable split backstay. I could introduce quite a bit of sag by running the adjuster very loose or take it all out if the conditions warranted it. The adjuster also let me shape the main to some extent. I sailed in an area where wind strengths could change rapidly in lots of vessel traffic so liked the ability to adjust the size of the headsail with the furler quickly from the cockpit. I found that I rigged the largest headsail I had and left the rest at home saving space in the cabin for sleeping etc. The headsail had a UV layer on the leech so when completely furled was protected from damage, more time sailing less time rigging.

Again each to their own preference, as long as your sailing it really doesn’t matter!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
How often did you sail with the largest jib full out?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Actually most of the time. I experimented a lot and found that in steadily building wind strength I preferred reefing the main before reducing the headsail size as the C&C24 would handle oncoming waves better that way. If it was a day when the wind was really gusty I would adjust with the furler as I could adapt faster. In heavy traffic I could quickly reduce or increase boat speed and increase forward visibility by using the furler. It was just nice to have that much flexibility over sail size and shape when I needed it. When the headsail wasn’t furled I don’t think there was any appreciable loss in performance compared to hank on and in widely variable conditions I think it was faster overall because there was no need to compromise on sail size and have the boat at optimal heel angle etc.