looking for Barlow 16 chrome winch

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Try Minney's Marine Surplus. I was there recently and I would guess they have 100 winches.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can be more specific if you like... I have this pair of 2 speed Barlow 18 standards. Standard meaning "not self tailing." I used them for my halyard winches, mounted on the cabin roof of my Catalina 27. They are in excellent condition... regularly serviced. The gear ratios are 1:1 and 3:1.... which makes them quicker than the standard 2:1 single speeds... very versatile. If you want more power, use a 10 inch handle. They are perfect as primary winches for boats under 25 feet.

You can make me an offer, but I will only sell them as a pair. I also have a similar condition pair of Barlow 24's..... std, two speed, chrome over bronze. That is overkill for a 22 footer.

I replaced them 2 years ago with a pair of Lewmar 16 ST single speeds, and a pair of Lewmar 30 ST two speeds... Since the new winches were so damn expensive, even on sale, I envisioned re installing the Barlows and selling the Lewmar Self tailers separately if I had trouble getting a good price for my boat. It is nearly impossible to find modern... USED.... self tailing winches.

Attachments

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
The old bronze winches are always in demand. My Tartan 30 originally had Barient 16s as primary winches. I upgraded to Lewmar 40STs, and sold the Barients on eBay - went to a left coast guy who was going to put them on a Ranger 23! In my book, good choice. BTW, the Barients weighed more than the Lewmars.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Dang! I forgot you said chrome. BaconSails.com had a not-chrome one. Kind of a gold/bronze finish to it.