Hunter 41 Solar & Mounting Recommendations

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I am looking to add solar to my AC 41 this winter current thinking is 2X 295 W mono panels instead of 4X 100 W mono panels wired in parallel. Placement would be some kind of solar davit off the arch to minimize shading. But what is making me hesitant about this idea is the cost of the davit which seems to be more then the solar kit it self. Love to get some input, feedback, recommendations and pictures of solar setup, placement options and lessons learned. My use case is ~160A usage per day on the hook for 1-2 weeks and do not want to have to start up my gen every morning to top off the batteries, wife and I love to sip our tea in the quiet ocean breezes.
Many Thanks

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Tucker I have just completed the install of 2 285W Panels on my 41DS. It has been a great addition to our boat! I mounted them on my Martek Dinghy Davits by building an aluminum structure above the davits and then tying that into the arch. Very stable. If interested I can send you some additional pictures and explanation via email

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I'm in the process of changing from 1-290W panel to 2-305W panels on my 410. I'm building frame out of 1.5x1.5x1/4" aluminum angles mounted to the traveler arch and bimini frame.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Nodak - looks awesome and a really good solution. More pictures would be greatly appreciated, also few questions
  • what kind of wind and sea states have they gone through
  • what is the max weight for your dingy davits (mine are 300lb don't want to over load my davits)
  • Can your boat and motor be stored on the davits or do you always remove the engine
Don Lucas - Interesting idea and now you got me thinking about 305W panels. What brand you thinking of purchasing. Very interested in what peoples experiences have been with the panels they have chosen. Are you worried that the sails and boom will shade the panels and cut your power production. Heard a lot of stories about shading.

Thanks Captains for sharing really helpful

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nodak - looks awesome and a really good solution. More pictures would be greatly appreciated, also few questions
  • what kind of wind and sea states have they gone through
  • what is the max weight for your dingy davits (mine are 300lb don't want to over load my davits)
  • Can your boat and motor be stored on the davits or do you always remove the engine
Tucker here is my weight Calculations. I used aluminum for my structure. Additionally I added an mid-point attachment to the davits as well as attaching them to the arch (see pictures) at the end points. Last year I added a single panel but I decided to add the second panel at the beginning of this year since we planned on going to the Bahamas (never happened though). We have been in some pretty heavy seas and it seems very stable.

The davits are rated for 600# but I believe with these two connections I have a much better load rating than that. I do carry motor on the Dinghy when I am traveling. If I think we are going to get into bad weather I can remove the motor and mount it on the pulpit rail.
Martek 600 – Weight Rating 600#
10’ Dinghy – 110#
9.9HP Motor – 84#
2 - 285W Panels – 80# (40# Each)
Support structure - 50# (est.)
Total Weight – 324#

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Don Lucas - Interesting idea and now you got me thinking about 305W panels. What brand you thinking of purchasing. Very interested in what peoples experiences have been with the panels they have chosen. Are you worried that the sails and boom will shade the panels and cut your power production. Heard a lot of stories about shading
I'm thinking 2 305W Canadian Solar panels. They are 65"x39" compared tomy old 290W panel that was 77"x39, but since I'm going to put them fore/aft they will stick aft more so I'm going to use 1/4" thick angle angle as support, which is a way overkill but it's hardy any more $$. I had my old panel and will do the new ones back about 14" from the aft edge of the travel to reduce shading. But this is really so they don't block my view of the main sail through the bimini clear window. At anchor/mooring I pull the boom over to the side and cleat it to the mid cleat so it doesn't shade the panels. I was doing the same with my old 290W panel and getting 80-120AH a day depending on the sun and wind direction.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Thanks for the additional pictures can see clearly the full set up and will be a big help designing my setup.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I'm thinking 2 305W Canadian Solar panels. They are 65"x39" compared tomy old 290W panel that was 77"x39, but since I'm going to put them fore/aft they will stick aft more so I'm going to use 1/4" thick angle angle as support, which is a way overkill but it's hardy any more $$. I had my old panel and will do the new ones back about 14" from the aft edge of the travel to reduce shading. But this is really so they don't block my view of the main sail through the bimini clear window. At anchor/mooring I pull the boom over to the side and cleat it to the mid cleat so it doesn't shade the panels. I was doing the same with my old 290W panel and getting 80-120AH a day depending on the sun and wind direction.
I was looking at Hanwha Q Peak Duo g5 305 - little more then the Canadian but has a duel backplan and greater number of cells. Being new to solar power it seems that more cells and split backplan help to improve performance. What are your thoughts, should I put the money towards the frame instead?

Jan 12, 2011
Being new to solar power it seems that more cells and split backplan help to improve performance. What are your thoughts, should I put the money towards the frame instead?
I think that if you research a little you will find that overall it makes no real difference between the number of cells and whether they are poly or mono. You are installing on a boat, not a perfect installation in a lab somewhere. I'm going to 60 cell, they are smaller and easier to handle asmy last panel was the larger and it was a bear to try to handle.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Nodak7 Did you do series or parallel? How many volts from the panels?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Since I already had the wires run I used series. Have not seen an issue with that yet. I could very easily change it by just running another wire and a second controller (that I already have).

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Has anyone purchased an arch from Atlantic towers. Looking at them as a mounting solution for my solar panels. Other solutions see very $$$$

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I add 2- 195 watt solar panels off my Hunter Arch and did run the wires into the arch.
Check on H-36 owner mods for more photo’s.
My photo files are acting up but have had my solar panels on since 2010 and problem with shading.
Nick

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Good morning Nick! Yeas this was one of the mountings that I was seriously looking at as well. I finally decided on the over the davits mounting because of the shading from the boom and the sail. Are those martek davits?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
They are Ocean Marine and got them used from a Hunter 41 who was changing to a full arch off the stern.
I have not really seen too much if any problem with shading.
Every body have a great Xmas and Happy New Year.
I will be heading to NY for the holidays so you all enjoy.
Nick

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I am looking to add solar to my AC 41 this winter current thinking is 2X 295 W mono panels instead of 4X 100 W mono panels wired in parallel. Placement would be some kind of solar davit off the arch to minimize shading. But what is making me hesitant about this idea is the cost of the davit which seems to be more then the solar kit it self. Love to get some input, feedback, recommendations and pictures of solar setup, placement options and lessons learned. My use case is ~160A usage per day on the hook for 1-2 weeks and do not want to have to start up my gen every morning to top off the batteries, wife and I love to sip our tea in the quiet ocean breezes.
Many Thanks
IMG_2371.jpg I am very happy with our setup. I have two 160w panels mounted on Martek davits. They are Hamilton Ferris units wired in series to a Hamilton Ferris MPPT controller. They handle the load on our boat very well, with enough power left over to charge the Torqeedo. No shading issues with this configuration. The angle of the panels is adjustable fore and aft. No issues so far with rough weather, but most of our cruising is in coastal waters.
Like you, we spend weeks at a time on the hook. We love sitting in the cockpit at dawn with our coffee and not having to run the engine. Of course, it doesn't take long before other boats around us fire up their diesels.
For us, the installation of the davits to carry our dinghy and to mount the solar panels has been a life changer. It has given us the freedom to cruise wherever and whenever we like.

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Evening all (well it is here in England) and I am adding solar to my H41 AC in the next few weeks.

have run all the wires etc and the plan is to run 4 x 125w panels wired tov 2 x MPPT controllers (2 per controller) to minimise shading effect etc.

Next stage is to build the arch which I plan to use 1" SS tubing and off the shelf fittings (that will be strengthened with M6 nuts and nyloc bolts), Will use the pushpit and the Legend arch to provide strength.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Thanks for the picture looks like a good setup. Is it attached to one bar that spans the two davits is that so you can position it ? Also how is the clearance when stepping off the stern of the boat we typically back in.