Window leaks 420 Passage

alsal

Dec 9, 2018
Hunter Passage 420 Newport Beach, CA
Have a 1995 Hunter 420 Passage. Center cockpit.
Side windows (lens) in the master bedroom leak around the dark grey knobs (which close and lock the window - there are four for each window) - its normally the last knobs at the back of each window each leak. Each window has a slight downward slant toward the back.
Replaced the O-rings inside each grey knob but Im still getting leaks at the last grey knob in each window. I have gone as far as adding a bit of silicone grease hoping to add some extra sealant to prevent leaking. No help.
Any suggestions would be a great help
thanks
al

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Hi and welcome aboard. I have a 2004 420 however my previous Hunter, had similar problems. I dont want to sugarcoat it, but you are probably going to have to re-bed the ports to solve the leaking, unless its the port that is broken which may be the case but in order for us to help you have to be detailed and sometimes supply pics.. Its tedious but not actually that hard. Silicone is just "lipstick on the pig".

Happy Holidays

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
silicone is tough to remove, when it comes time to rebed those ports with Dow.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it coming through the knob penetration? Can you just take pictures of the hatch -- inside and out, open and shut. Before you start introducing sealant, I'd see what is happening to the engineered seal?

Does the other port of the same design do the same thing?

alsal

Dec 9, 2018
Thanks for all replies
Put in new lens and gaskets for each window.
Leak is only in the last knob of each window.
New O-rings in each knob. But water still is seeping in under the last knob of each window
Any suggestions??? thans

Dec 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
I am thinking out loud here that the leak may be elsewhere and is running down the window until it reaches the knob, which acts as a drip point. Some photos or more detail would help. Note that sometimes (especially on a boat) water can run "uphill" for a variety of reasons.

I am resealing and rebedding all of my portlights because both the frame to cabin and the glass to frame seals were leaking.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The Lewmar Ocean hatches doemd on some hex set screws to deal the frame.

If that’s what you gave, They a METRIC (don’t strip them!). Joker460 may be onto the issue.

Som pictures would help.

alsal

Dec 9, 2018
thanks a lot for the link Joker 460 - appreciate it
will check it out and see if I can fix my leaks