Lake Martin AL?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I’m moving to Montgomery mid January and Lake Martin looks like it would make a nice new home for my H26. (?)

Anyone here with first hand knowledge about this lake?

I’d love to hear from you

Dec 12, 2018
None None None
Welcome to Lake Martin! You'll find a great sailing club here at Dixie Sailing Club, and there are articles about sailing on Lake Martin in back issues of Lake magazine at issuu.com. Hope to meet you at DSC next time we do a sailing story in our magazine!

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
I don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge, but here are a few observations from my few times on/ around the lake:
Water is very clear.
Area is beautiful with lots of coves.
Water level drops significantly in the winter time for flood control -- Still okay to sail, but you need to be sure that wherever you will keep your boat has "year round water"
Socio-economically, Lake Martin is on the very high end in Alabama -- the nicest houses, the nicest property developments, etc. There is also a state park on the lake, though, that is very popular.

Dec 12, 2018
None None None
You can come by the magazine office (548 Cherokee Rd. Alexander City) when you get to town and pick up a newcomer's guide. It has all kinds of info about the local restaurants, things to do, services and hours, how to get internet, etc.

Jan 19, 2010
Welcome to Lake Martin! You'll find a great sailing club here at Dixie Sailing Club, and there are articles about sailing on Lake Martin in back issues of Lake magazine at issuu.com. Hope to meet you at DSC next time we do a sailing story in our magazine!
Thanks @Lake magazine

I will be living in Montgomery so your Club would be on the far side of the lake. I'm hoping to find a marina within a 30 or 40 min drive so I can get a quick sail in after work. I appreciate the welcome and hope to see you on the water.

Jan 19, 2010
You can come by the magazine office (548 Cherokee Rd. Alexander City) when you get to town and pick up a newcomer's guide. It has all kinds of info about the local restaurants, things to do, services and hours, how to get internet, etc.
Thanks! I'll do that.

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge, but here are a few observations from my few times on/ around the lake:
Water is very clear.
Area is beautiful with lots of coves.
Water level drops significantly in the winter time for flood control -- Still okay to sail, but you need to be sure that wherever you will keep your boat has "year round water"
Socio-economically, Lake Martin is on the very high end in Alabama -- the nicest houses, the nicest property developments, etc. There is also a state park on the lake, though, that is very popular.
Thanks @Stan Breaux

That is good info.