Fort Myers Florida sailors....

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I posted this in the "ask all sailors forum" and got zip replies. Maybe the wrong place or no Ft Meyers sailors?
I am planning to retire next summer (2019) in Fort Myers. I bought a home there several years ago, making the move from Long Island to Florida and very much looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my Catalina 30 along as well, most likely having it transported. I won't have the time/weather window to sail down.
I am planning a trip down in the beginning of February next year looking for a marina(s) to have it delivered to. I need a full service marina that can step the mast and launch. I was thinking of keeping the boat a bit further north eventually ending up in the Charlotte Harbor area but I'm thinking for now keeping the boat near in Fort Myers and exploring Sanibel and Captiva.

Can any of you guys/gals recommend a couple reliable marinas for me to take a look at when I come down in Feb?
In addition any comments on the sailing in this area (Fort Myers) would be appreciated.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Gasparilla Marina, Safe Cove, Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage all are on Charlotte Harbor. Two are DIY places. I used Gasparilla to receive my boat after shipment.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Thanks but I need a full service "sailboat friendly" marina in Fort Myers.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks but I need a full service "sailboat friendly" marina in Fort Myers.
You might want to consider berthing in Fort Myers Beach instead. It has direct access to the Gulf, and lots of places to anchor or moor your boat. From Fort Myers, it is a bit of a ride down the river and either a right turn to the "Miserable Mile" to get to Sanibel/Captiva, or a left turn and under the Sanibel Causeway to the Gulf.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I live in Ft Myers Beach, why don't you send me a private message and I can give you some specific information.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I posted this in the "ask all sailors forum" and got zip replies. Maybe the wrong place or no Ft Meyers sailors?
I am planning to retire next summer (2019) in Fort Myers. I bought a home there several years ago, making the move from Long Island to Florida and very much looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my Catalina 30 along as well, most likely having it transported. I won't have the time/weather window to sail down.
I am planning a trip down in the beginning of February next year looking for a marina(s) to have it delivered to. I need a full service marina that can step the mast and launch. I was thinking of keeping the boat a bit further north eventually ending up in the Charlotte Harbor area but I'm thinking for now keeping the boat near in Fort Myers and exploring Sanibel and Captiva.

Can any of you guys/gals recommend a couple reliable marinas for me to take a look at when I come down in Feb?
In addition any comments on the sailing in this area (Fort Myers) would be appreciated.
As mentioned earlier, Gasparilla Marina on Cape Haze would be a good base when you move the boat north. It is on the ICW, with access to Charlotte Harbor and then the Gulf by way of Boca Grande inlet. Venice and Sarasota are on the ICW to the north, and Pine Island Sound with its barrier islands to the south.
We lived in Englewood, and berthed our boat on Mannasota Key. From there, we liked to sail up the coast to Venice, Sarasota or Tampa. Often, we anchored out at Don Pedro State Park on the ICW in Englewood, or Cayo Costa just south of Charlotte Harbor. A day sail on Charlotte Harbor with guests was always a good time.
From Fort Myers or Fort Myers Beach, you could easily sail to Marco Island or Everglades City to the south, and eventually, to the Keys of course.
In general, we enjoyed sailing the Gulf Coast. Just be aware of your draft anytime you are not on the ocean. We hit bottom many times, but fortunately, the bottom is soft around there. In winter, be aware of northers that can make conditions cold and very windy. On the plus side, the mosquitoes are not a problem in the Everglades in the winter.
I'm sorry I don't have any info on marinas in the Fort Myers area, but I'm sure you will enjoy your stay wherever you are berthed.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hi fellow Long Islander and welcome to SW Florida,moved here in 2008 and love it here and you will love it here too.
I don’t know too much about Marina’s in Ft Myers even thought I do cruise there a lot and all the way to Key West and North to Tarpon Springs.
But the boat yards in Charlotte Harbor are pretty good for taking your boat from truck to all ready for sailing and down to Ft Myers is not that much of a trip from boat yard to Ft Myers.
I will ask around for a Marina in Ft Myers and when you do come down give me a call a head of time and can help out finding a Marina.
Nick

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Thank you all for your inputs! I have established some good correspondences with some of you and have acquired some excellent resources. Keep it coming! My time to move is getting close. I am learning that things are a bit different concerning the way marinas are run in SW Florida compared to what I am use to up here on Long Island. I will get it sorted out and am looking forward to my new cruising grounds.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thank you all for your inputs! I have established some good correspondences with some of you and have acquired some excellent resources. Keep it coming! My time to move is getting close. I am learning that things are a bit different concerning the way marinas are run in SW Florida compared to what I am use to up here on Long Island. I will get it sorted out and am looking forward to my new cruising grounds.
Some things about SW Florida and Long Island are incredibly similar! A few years ago, I helped my brother-in-law deliver a Cape Dory 28 trawler from West Islip to Cape Cod. I was amazed to see homes on canals, and day marks along the inshore route from Fire Island to Shinecock Inlet, just like you would see in SW Florida.
Something to note about Florida is that the availability of pump outs is not what we are used to in the northeast. Some facilities in Florida don't have pump outs, and those that do usually charge for a pump out. Here in Massachusetts, most facilities have pump outs, and by law they cannot charge for the service, since the state pays them to maintain the pump outs. Also, be aware that you must sail 9 miles offshore in the Gulf to dump a holding tank, versus the 3 miles we are used to in New England. Something about being in federal waters versus state waters.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As a fall back position, consider Salt Creek Marina/ boat yard in St Petersburg, FL. I had my Pearson 30 decommissioned there and shipped to Southern California. Recommission and launch there, then transit down the coast to Ft Myers. Could be a fun introduction to cruising in SW Florida (with preparation).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
George Lazier use to work out of a marina on Snead Island, near Bradenton. Snead Island Boatworks. I think they are still in business. That's a little farther North than you are talking about, but maybe not too far.

-Will (Dragonfly)

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Based on some recommendations I believe there are a choice of resources available in the Ft Myers beach/San Carlos Island area. There appear to be a bunch of storage marinas and full service yards there for me to step my mast and keep the boat. Looks like a fun place to start. Plus it would be about a 20 minute drive from my new home there. I'm looking into it, starting a list of places to visit on my trip down in Feb. Also hearing good things about the CMCS club!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
George Lazier use to work out of a marina on Snead Island, near Bradenton. Snead Island Boatworks. I think they are still in business. That's a little farther North than you are talking about, but maybe not too far.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Cool! I'm pretty sure that is the marina our boat was berthed at when we bought her. Our maiden voyage was from there to Englewood. It was exciting to finally be on a boat we could live on and cruise with.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In the Caloosahatchi River at Ft Myers there is an island between the two bridges. It is a popular anchorge. I don't know any details, just onservations when visiting family out in Whiskey Creek.

Last edited:

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
In the Caloosahatchi River at Ft Myers there is an island between the two bridges. It is a popular anchorge. I don't know any details, just onservations when viviting family out in Whiskey Creek.
There is a small Island which appears to have some slips up the river a bit between the Caloosahatchi Bridge and the Edison Bridge

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try Moss Marine downtown Ft Myers beach and was there about a month ago and they were
installing all new but also search around for best price and location for you.
As far as delivering your boat to yard to setup into water ready for sailing the charlotte harbor boat yard is perfect for that and they as backup if you can’t find a yard in Ft Myers.
Nick

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Try Moss Marine downtown Ft Myers beach and was there about a month ago and they were
installing all new but also search around for best price and location for you.
As far as delivering your boat to yard to setup into water ready for sailing the charlotte harbor boat yard is perfect for that and they as backup if you can’t find a yard in Ft Myers.
Nick
Yes, Gasparilla Marina is a full service marina. I have had my boat hauled and worked on there. Very capable and professional. It is a long haul from Ft. Myers by car, though, since you must drive around Charlotte Harbor and down Cape Haze to get there. Burnt Store Marina is near Punta Gorda, not far from the Tamiami Trail, and a lot closer to Ft. Myers, but I don't know if it is a full service marina. It might be mostly a condominium and resort based marina.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Burnt Store Marina is a great marina and great location for sailing charlotte harbor and to cruise
to other great destinations and when I first moved to SW Fl. I did keep my boat there but it does not have way of hauling sailboats and no service or repairs.
I think you will find a yard in Ft Myers to do what you want and also find a slip to keep your boat close by.
But if and when you decide to keep your boat in Charlotte Harbor and live in Ft Myers Burnt Store Marina would be perfect.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Charlotte Harbor boat yard is a full service yard and you can have them do what ever you need
and you can also work on your own boat if you want to wax sand or paint and pretty much you
are allowed to do any and all work on your own boat and not all yards let you work on your own boat.
I and many friends go there for haul out to do bottom paint and other work on there own boats
and also pay to have work done on your boat.
It is a great yard and sailors are also allowed to live on there boat while working on your boat
and they have showers and kitchen and building to hang out in.
Nick

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Charlotte Harbor boat yard is a full service yard and you can have them do what ever you need
and you can also work on your own boat if you want to wax sand or paint and pretty much you
are allowed to do any and all work on your own boat and not all yards let you work on your own boat.
I and many friends go there for haul out to do bottom paint and other work on there own boats
and also pay to have work done on your boat.
It is a great yard and sailors are also allowed to live on there boat while working on your boat
and they have showers and kitchen and building to hang out in.
Nick
Is that the yard in Port Charlotte that you get to by way of a lock and canal? I kept my boat at American Storage (I think that was the name) next door for a summer. I wanted to get into the Charlotte Harbor yard, but it is so popular, it was always full. There were boats there from all over the planet!
Another yard to consider, in the case of an approaching hurricane, is Indiantown Marina. It is a bit of a ride up the Okeechobee Waterway from Fort Myers, but worth it for the protection. We spent a night there, and it was cool in a funky, old Florida kind of way.