Where to Stow The Boom for Travel

Sep 16, 2013
MacGregor 26S Peoria, IL
I've owned my 1990 26S for 8 years now. She normally sits in a slip at my local marina all summer with a trip to the Great Lakes a couple of weeks a year. I'm getting ready to head down to Florida, a 3,000 mile round trip. I've tried a few different ways but have not been able to come up with a simple but effective way to stow the boom inside the cabin. At the moment, I am considering removing the port side bench seat cushion, wrapping the boom with heavy towels in a couple of places to cushion and prevent wear, then finding a way to strap the boom down to the fiberglass bench. It seems like there should be a better way. Any advice would be appreciated!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
3000 miles is a long way. Maybe some fitted padded 2X4s strategically placed so you can secure the boom to them?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I used some heavy duty bungy cords and gorilla tape to affix it to the mast on a roundtrip to Florida (2000miles) on my last trip. My first trip I tied it to the compression post, wrapped the ends in beach towels, and slid it into the vberth as far as it would go. It didn't move any, but took up lots of room and we wanted to sleep in the boat on the way. That is why the next trip I kept it on the outside.
missa2016.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I would do what @Cuscus recommends but with ratchet straps. Maybe a few blocks of wood to avoid scratching and in case hardware gets in the way

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Our main stays on the boom in a sail-pack and we tie that to two of the port side stanchions on trips. It is out of the way and we can still raise and lower the pop-top with it there. Above was one of the 2200 mile one-way trips to Florida where I wrapped the boom/main and the mast/genoa with tarp pieces.

Now I don't bother with the tarps to keep road rash off as it didn't materialize. The boom/main/sail-pack are tied to the stanchions and the mast/genoa are cover with the cover I made,

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I don't tow very far but I like Sumner's idea but not with the sail on. I stow a 10 foot jib boom on the life lines when not in use, it is out of the way and safe.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I trailer all the time and I just strap the boom with the sail flaked and tied on it between the stanchions on deck.

Never had any problem with it.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If your looking for a way to pad the boom, try buying a couple of swimming noodles. Slit it open, and put it around the boom. I have to think the boom fits in your cabin, but assume it doesn't lay flat anywhere. I don't know that to be a problem. My boom sits on the bed with one end on the counter. If you want to support it batter, throw a couple of life jackets under it. Unless you roll the boat in an accident, it should be just fine. I've never seen mine move around in the cabin, even after a panic stop.

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
Gee....have I been doing it wrong all this time? I hang the end of "Mistress'" boom from the interior liner on the port side and the gooseneck rests in the forward berth.

Sorry about the image quality. It looked a lot better when I was aboard........

Sep 16, 2013
MacGregor 26S Peoria, IL
IMG_20181120_154801335.jpg
IMG_20181120_154838007.jpg
A lot of great ideas here. Thanks for the replies. I took a mix of a few different ideas and came up with what you see in the pics below. The boom is strapped to the gin pole, with it's break winch snug in the port side under-seat storage compartment. The bimini is strapped to that. The goal is for everything to be inside the cabin, secured as best as practical, with no chaffing on anything important / visible. It's a bit overkill for a quick jaunt to the ramp, however, for 3000 miles, I think it's worth the extra effort. I'll let you know how it works out!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Saxacussionist, that looks very secure and ship shape. I can't imagine any problems with that plan.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That forward end of the boom won't bang on the Vberth will it? Can't tell from the angle.
Do you think those towels will keep everything from bouncing up and down on the road? One last thing I would do is tie a line around the boom above that forward hatch, run it thru the settee and back up thru the aft hatch. Then snug the line on the aft end of the boom.

Have a safe trip! Post some pics of your new place.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I jam mine all the way to the tip of the v-berth and set that end (goosneck) on a flotation cushion. The other end (clew) has a short line that I fasten to the port chain plate. Clove hitch. I wrap that end in a small towel. It sits perfectly behind the sink faucet. I remove the sail for travelling.

Sep 16, 2013
MacGregor 26S Peoria, IL
Update on the trip, a month late, sorry! The boom/gin pole made the trip perfectly! I don't think it moved at all. Justin, the end of the boom was a good 2" from the v birth. Absolutely no rubbing or chaffing at all. Yes, it's a bit overkill, but it gave me exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all for your help...!

Attached is a pic as we are headed out to the Atlantic from our house in Marathon Key, FL
IMG_20190121_185327.jpg

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
If your looking for a way to pad the boom, try buying a couple of swimming noodles. Slit it open, and put it around the boom. I have to think the boom fits in your cabin, but assume it doesn't lay flat anywhere. I don't know that to be a problem. My boom sits on the bed with one end on the counter. If you want to support it batter, throw a couple of life jackets under it. Unless you roll the boat in an accident, it should be just fine. I've never seen mine move around in the cabin, even after a panic stop.
I would look into pipe insulation. The same stuff as the pool noodle but would come pre-slit and you could get it made for a larger inside diameter.