Proud new owner Hunter 356

Oct 7, 2016
Hunter 356 Little Creek, Norfolk VA
I am the proud new owner of a 2002 Hunter 356. I will be sailing on the southern Chesapeake Bay out of Little Creek. I haven't spent much time on it yet beyond the survey and sea trial.

The boat has in-mast furling, I will appreciate any comments or recommendations concerning the in mast furling. And I haven't figured out how to get the stereo speakers to play yet.

I am moving up from a Catalina 27 so I am open to any advice on docking, undocking, and general operation of the boat.

Thanks!

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
congrats! she looks beautiful.
the proper way to learn a new boat's habits in a marina is to get allot of crew, lots of fenders and mooring line, extra boat hooks then leave the dock go 150 ft away and then return and enter your slip and stop. then repeat 20 times. you and your crew will learn the nuances of that beautiful new vessel. it's fun. the crew learns too, this is important. they will enjoys the practice. docking = practice, it's that simple. so many forget this step in learning a new vessel. the skilled captains do this with all new vessels. it's fun.
just my $0.02

i am a highly trained and skilled sailor. 59 yrs of doing this. wanna get good, it's simple, PRACTICE !

Oct 7, 2016
perfect practical advice and thanks for the compliment on the the boat! I mostly sail by myself. My wife is a sometimes passenger who wanted a bigger boat... and I did too. the slip available to me is for 45 footers. So I will have a lot of room in the slip to get in and out of. but that of course is the big concern.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
And practice going slowly. Coasting even, and using short burst of 1/4 throttle. See how the boat reacts to power inputs and wind/current effects when you have lots of "fending off" help. Then, do it all over again with heavier wind/current.
Then imagine a dead stick approach and berthing.
Amazing what you'll learn.
Oh, and get signed releases from all "crew" before you start practicing! :eek:

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks ggrizzard. I am wondering how different the extra 8 feet, 6k lbs will make in the docking and undocking vs my catalina 27. And I am thinking the significantly higher freeboard may make the most difference?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Congratulations on your new 356! you will love her roominess, handling and speed - a fun boat to sail, and very seaworthy. if possible with your slip layout, plan to back in; the higher freeboard means more windage, but the 356 backs beautifully - much easier to control pulling into a slip. As has been said, practice and fenders! you will very quickly become comfortable docking her. We've had Escape for 16 years now, and love sailing her. let us know what equipment you've got, and any questions you have - a lot of 356 owners are active on the forum.

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks Chuck. I am very excited. I see that you sail out of Portland? Does that mean that you do any ocean/coastal cruising? I will be in the the chesapeake bay mostly. I find it very tempting to sail out of the bay and hang a right (head south). :)

Eventually, I would like to go down the ICW and over to the bahamas.... but another couple of seasons on the bay first.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Congratulations on your new 356. We are ending 16 years of pleasure sailing Persistence. I think the 356 is one of the best boats Hunter has ever built. Like Chuck said, back into your slip. The 356 is easy to back up, but you have to have some speed to maneuver the boat, then use power to stop it and prop walk to make it go where you want. You can walk right in through the stern. As you get used to it, there will be lots of questions. We are glad to help you with learning your systems. We’re on Kentucky Lake but have been down the Tenn-Tom and across the Gulf and GICW to SW Florida. The boat handles the ocean well.

Oct 7, 2016
Thx Jerry sounds like you have had great experiences with Persistence. Seems all of the owner responses are positive. That is very good. I am also happy to hear about long trips such as yours!

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Congratulations, this 2003 Hunter 356 is the best of 14 boats I've owned. Everything from Hunters to J Boat 30 and Morgan 38; a Catalina 30 twice. She does everything well and is fast. The documentation for the boat is stupendous, there is a factory SOP installation/build sheet for just about everything. There are 198 files in my model information directory; every thing from wiring, plumbing cable and hose routing to how the rub rail is installed. Go to Marlow-Hunter website - Our Fleet - Service Manuals - Additional Information - Model Information then look up the 356. Also in the Index look at Miscellaneous and Wiring Schematics and wander around; the 36 wiring manual applies. It really came in handy when changing the battery charger and also fixing a problem with the water manifold. You will love this boat.

Oct 7, 2016
The more i am hearing on the forum the happier i feel about the new boat. Cant wait to get her under way.

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks kermit. My dad lives in lexington. Age has caught up with him now. But he used to motor boat and day sail on lake murray... beautiful

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Hi CL,
we primarily sail Casco Bay (Portland area) and downeast Maine, an incredibly beautiful cruising area; Hundreds of islands to explore, wildlife abounds, lots of interesting harbors and things to do. We've sailed Escape in some pretty heavy weather, and early in the season we often have fog, but the 356 is a real confidence builder. As Charliesea said, the documentation from Hunter is really good, and maintenance and upgrades are pretty straightforward. Best boat we've ever owned; haven't seen another model we would think of moving to.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations on a beautiful new to you boat. It is like riding a bike. You get onboard. Test your skills from your previous experiences and then adapt.

Practice will empower you. I like to go out in the bay and throw a fender over board on a calm day out of the traffic lane and just practice appaching and leaving the fender. It is a target. (The fender is really not needed but can be like a MOB). The skill you want to acquire is the feel of how the boat reacts as you drift, add power, reduce power, back up. When asked what I was doing the first time took the helm of my boat, I crossed my eyes and tilted my head, grimaced my face and said Crazy Ivans!

Docking is nothing more than getting the boat to go where you want it to go. If you can do it in open water space you can do it in a confined space. All the same factors are applied. I like the open space because it is easier to do Crazy Ivans with no obstructions.

I always encourage folks to just go and sit on your boat. Get the feel of her. How big she looks when you stare at the bow, or glance to your right or left. What she does when someone steps aboard or moves about the boat. And most definitely sit with her and imagine what that new gadget will look like or how - even if - you really need it before you add it to your cart in WM.

I sailed the lower Bay out of NAS Norfolk for 2 years back in the early 70’s. You have some great water to explore. Watch out for the shallows.

Fair winds. Looking for more images and stories of your adventures.

Oct 7, 2016
Thx i will definately practice in open water. My marina is about 10 minutes from my office. I often go down to my c27 at lunch just to putts around for a break and enjoy the boat... so i appreciate your comments!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My marina is about 10 minutes from my office. I often go down to my c27 at lunch just to putts around for a break and enjoy the boat
10 minutes from your office? I’m jealous. Of course I no longer have an office but the only time I’m only 10 minutes from my boat is after I drive 70 minutes.

Very nice boat. Happy Sailing!

Oct 7, 2016
I am very fortunate. 10 minutes from my office. Once underway 10, minutes from the chesapeake bay. 25 minutes from my house.

During the summer i am able to go out for 2 or 3 hours after work.... have to learn to solo in and out of the slip.