It’s Nice at Waikiki Beach!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Another December Baby. Happy Birthday! Mine's in a couple of days but as we just got back from Puerto Rico I don't think I'm going to get to go away anytime soon.
Hawaii-honeymoon_0006.jpg
Honolulu May 2003. Got married on the beach in the background. The Admiral and I eloped. Second marriage for both of us and I'm still glad to see her face every morning. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
December birthday here too. Just back from Aruba and a memory of Summer. Nice. Didn't ID the Red Boat. Plenty of breeze down that way.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Been to Hawaii a number of times over the years. Nice place to visit, but to live, nope. Born and raised in the PNW. Lived in other places, visited many of the other cities in the USA and Asia. Romantic memories of Japan, especially Atsugi and walking in the snow to catch a train. No thanks. I prefer our moderate four seasons. Love the rain, occasional moist snow, mild summers, rugged mountains, outdoor life, etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Happy birthday KG, but I'm with kappy. Describing a tropical paradise isn't the same as showing a tropical paradise.
Shemandr's example is a good start.
I've been a lot of places, but never Hawaii. Always wanted to see the South Pacific islands.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ages ago, two openings for my MOS opened up at Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay. My buddy and I both volunteered. Instead they sent two new guys who didn't want to go. We were too valuable they said. So the only time I have been to Hawaii was when we rotated back from southeast Asia to the states. We weren't even allowed to leave the terminal. :(

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
IMG_0436.JPG
Nice! We were there exactly 2 years ago this week. We hoped to see surfing at Pipeline, but waves weren't big enough for competition, unfortunately. They were big enough for me, though. :cool: Christmas in the tropics was pretty nice!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sue won that trip for us in an office competition. You better believe she was pretty happy to have 8 luxurious days in a Waikiki Reef Suite overlooking the ocean in December. She's not complaining about working for a NJ-based PR firm (except when she's stuck in I-80 traffic :()

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Visited the National Monument (Valor in the Pacific) yesterday where the Arizona Memorial is located; but it is closed for some repairs the next few months. Took a self-guided tour of the USS Bowfin-a WWII submarine. Very impressive. There are several exhibits there at the Monument. It was a moving experience for all of us there together. Many flower arrangements still about from the December 7 services.

The Pipeline contest has been going on. We went by there on Tuesday but it closed down Tuesday afternoon due to unsafe conditions. Swam in the pool at the base of Waimea Falls, a truly existential experience for a few moments.:wink:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Been to Hawaii a number of times over the years. Nice place to visit, but to live, nope. Born and raised in the PNW. Lived in other places, visited many of the other cities in the USA and Asia. Romantic memories of Japan, especially Atsugi and walking in the snow to catch a train. No thanks. I prefer our moderate four seasons. Love the rain, occasional moist snow, mild summers, rugged mountains, outdoor life, etc.
I’ve met a couple of sailors here who regularly visit PNW for yachting. One tried to convince us (as if I need convincing) that the PNW offers the most and best opportunities for long term “exploration.” The other sailed his boat there last year, and it is now in Anacortes. Will be there for a while. People evidently think it’s better to go there than to come here for “messing around in boats.”