House Battery compartment size Hunter 430

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
can anyone tell me how deep the house bank compartment on a hunter 430 is??
I am thinking of replacing the 8D s with 6 volt trojen t105s but I am not at the boat at the moment

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
James, did you have to reconfigure your inverter/charger for the la batteries vs agm originals? How often do you check water levels and do you have any venting concerns?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
did you have to reconfigure your inverter/charger for the la batteries vs agm originals? How often do you check water levels and do you have any venting concerns?
I have never used AGM batts on the boat, nor plan too.

I have the "Freedom 20" IC , and yes, you must configure it for Amp load input and battery type.

The batteries in my link above give me ≈ 3 sailing seasons. Cost about $88/yr with trade in.;)

The H430 battery compartment was very well designed for easy access, size, short distance wiring, and venting. The OEM was 2 x 8D's.

I normally leave my IC off. The reason is there is a low amp float charge that slowly "bubbles" off the acid mix.
When we plan a cruise weekend, I turn the IC on to top the batteries off before leaving and if I am on the boat it berth I turn the IC on.

I check the water level ≈3 months. So far no distilled water added with about 12 months on this set.

I have a Genset, so even if I get low house battery indication, usually full radar and Autopilot in light seas ≈14 hrs, I can recharge them if needed. This allows me to use a lower Amp-hr capacity bank.

Many SBO people take pride in extending their battery life. I got mine for our sailing style.
Jim...

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
My boat had 3 AGM's as original equipment and were replaced in 2015 so the 1st set gave exceptional service. However, after reading Marinehowto on another thread at this site about the virtues of t105 6v gcb's I will do a careful exam when replacement time returns. What year is your boat James?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What year is your boat James?
Keel laid in 1998. Boat hit the water in 4/22/99. The broker pictures [Aug 2012] of our boat showed 2 x 8D's in battery compartment. Not sure if they were OEM. We "Sea trialed" our boat 12/2013 and it had 1x 4D.:eek:
Long story, but the moral of it, to the PO , is don't let an exposed DC wire get in your bilge.
Jim...