PEX vs Reinforced PVC

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
True dat.
You don't actually need the tool to release the Sharkbite fittings, you can use a wrench and just push-in the fitting...its easy.
True dat. I like the tool. It applies pressure more evenly and they cost about $0.50.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Nothing costs $0.50. If it obviously should cost $0.50, it will be in a package of three pieces priced for $1.99. ;)

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I replumbed our entire Oday 34 with PEX several years ago, using SharkBite fittings. Unlike the other Scott, I had no pressure issues at all, despite using 1/2" on both sides of the pump. I do have a standard household faucet at the galley sink and rarely open the faucet all the way. At the same time I replaced the lines, I added an accumulator tank using a 2 gallon well tank from Home Depot for about $40.00. The faucet connectors are a great idea - wish I had thought of that :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Actually, the only tool one needs for PEX fittings is one to cut the tubing. The fittings I use, John Guest Speedfit, one just pushes the tubing into the fittings and it can easily be released by reversing this and pushing in and holding the little ears and pulling the tubing out. All the fittings are plastic, so, unlike the Sharkbite stuff, you need not worry about corrosion. All fittings are external, so there is no restriction in the water flow at the connections, as well.
pex.jpeg.PNG

May 6, 2010
Our boat originally had the SpeedFit fittings and I had several leaks causing the pump to run periodically. That is what precipitated the re-do with PEX and the accumulator tank for me.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Our boat originally had the SpeedFit fittings and I had several leaks causing the pump to run periodically. That is what precipitated the re-do with PEX and the accumulator tank for me.
No leaks in ten years. Not one tubing or fitting failure either.

May 6, 2010
No leaks in ten years. Not one tubing or fitting failure either.
I'm sure ours were original and were replaced at 20-25 years. Honestly I went with the PEX more because I could get everything locally than anything else. Not sure what caused the old system to start leaking.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I'm sure ours were original and were replaced at 20-25 years. Honestly I went with the PEX more because I could get everything locally than anything else. Not sure what caused the old system to start leaking.
Blame it on UV rays, everything else is.

Dec 13, 2018
Lancer 25 Mendocino cty
Probably most have left this thread but I agree it revolutionized our old house. I follow toxic issues ( long time radio show call Toxic Free Future, absent but may return www.kzyx.org) and I know that PEX and PE tubing is very nontoxic with few additives. A plus for water sitting in pipes.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Anyone use the Sea Tech brand on PEX hose and fittings that Defender sells?

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Reinforced PVC will not crack if frozen - I speak from experience. Not sure about PEX.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Reinforced PVC will not crack if frozen - I speak from experience. Not sure about PEX.
Pex tubing can crack/split when frozen. Not as fragile as copper tubing, but I've had Pex tubing freeze in home heating lines, with the same damage.

Pex is too stiff for me to use it on the boat. I love it for residential plumbing though.
Frozen pex split .JPG