water intake hose. which to choose

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm refreshing my Perko inlet water strainer with new gaskets and want to replace the 5/8" hose up to the water pump. I need about 6'. Which hose type do I use ? The old one only says the size. I think they are reinforced so they don't collapse. Thanks.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The Trident hose 132 should work fine. It appears to be equivalent to the Shields Marine Exhaust/Water Hose (No Wire). Shields recommends that hose for straight lengths. If you have bends in the hose, take a look at the Shieldsflex II. It has a helical wire embedded to resist collapsing at the bends. That is the hose that I use because I do have bends.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Rich, I think I edited my post after yours was posted, but after checking, it was the Trident 134 I used not the 132 I first mentioned. 134 is rated for under the water line use. 132 does not mention that.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin... at the water pump use the proper sized "Full Flow 90 Elbow Pipe to Hose Fitting"
You'll have no flow restriction and no kinking.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
this is a pic of the pump when I had it off for maintenance. I'm not sure if the fitting is replaceable. Good thing I'm starting this project early!
Johnson Waterpump.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
First glitch in my Perko water strainer project. My pain may be your gain: I ordered my gasket set before I dismantled my strainer. Vinegar seems to work pretty well as a cleaner BTW. Anyway, the black gaskets that I assumed were rubber, are really cork. I asked Perko if it made a difference which materials to use. They say the (older) 493 used cork and must be replaced with same. the newer 493 uses rubber. Figures. I had a 50/50 chance to get it right and I blew it. So now I need to exchange my set with a different one. Shipping is almost as much as the parts cost!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Project complete -
I haven't found 5'8" wire-wound hose in bulk yet. I would need 5'. I had enough excess to clip the ends off and reinstall. I wire brushed the patina off, replaced one stripped pivot bolt and the 3 cork gaskets. Replaced the in/out plastic fittings with brass. Carefully and evenly tightened the 4 assembly rods. Reinstalled it yesterday. Next is the Racor filter plug washers.
Strainer_before1.jpg Strainer_before2.jpg Strainer_after.jpg