Title for a dinghy?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
On a swap site I just saw a 9 ft. dinghy advertised with a clean title. I have never bought a small boat, this threw me off. What size boat starts needing titles?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Depends on your state. South Carolina requires titles for all boats other than human-powered. Ask your state.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Depends on the size of the craft, if motorized, your state, and your country.
It just depends....

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
T/T works in most places. Has for me over almost 40 years.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The rules vary by state. In Florida, if the boat is over 16' or if it has a motor, it needs to be registered. There are some exceptions for things like sculls, out of state boats that are here temporarily and comply with their home state rules, life boats, boats that only get used on private ponds or other non-navigable waterways & boats that only get used for racing.

In some places, if you have a small tender that serves a larger boat/ship, then the tender does not require a separate registration. In this case, you label the tender "Tender To (name of mother ship) or T/T (name of mother ship), but you do not need to get a separate registration for the T/T. Florida is not one of those places, but people frequently visit here with T/T vessels. A visiting T/T with no registration is OK here, a Florida based T/T needs a registration.

My 12' inflatable with 3.5hp motor is registered. My friend's 11' row boat is not. My kayak is not. My 17' sailboat is registered. If my sailboat was 15' & did not have a motor, I would not need to register it. I see 30-something foot center consoles around here that are marked T/T to some super yacht. Those are usually either registered or documented.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guessing.
It is slang short hand for:
  • This is the “tender to” the sailing vessel “Sundance” or whatever the yacht’s name is.
  • T/T Sundance as an example.

Wooo wooo I guessed right. Just to slow a typist to get my answer submitted before the answer was published. Do I get a prize?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
In Maryland you will have to register the dinghy if it has a motor. In order to register the boat you will have to show ownership with HIN and a bill of sale. So “clear title” is good, it indicates that the owner has the required paperwork to sell the boat. Row the boat and you don’t need it, slap an outboard on it and you do because a dinghy must be registered with the state and display reg numbers. Ask the seller for the Hull Identification Number.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
In florida the dinghy has to have a title if motorized and you will need a bill of sale with HIN clearly on it to apply for and get issued one. Then you have to register the boat and obtain the tax decal each year.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On a swap site I just saw a 9 ft. dinghy advertised with a clean title. I have never bought a small boat, this threw me off. What size boat starts needing titles?
Mine is an 8-foot (260) and needed registration. Get a bill of sail from the owner, then head to the DNR office with the title. They'll take care of it/you.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Guessing.
It is slang short hand for:
  • This is the “tender to” the sailing vessel “Sundance” or whatever the yacht’s name is.
  • T/T Sundance as an example.

Wooo wooo I guessed right. Just to slow a typist to get my answer submitted before the answer was published. Do I get a prize?
:beer:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Get a bill of sail from the owner, then head to the DNR office with the title. They'll take care of it/you.
Be sure to include the Hull ID number on the bill of sale. Also a good idea to specifically state on the bill of sale that it is a "private sale" between the current owner and buyer. If the previous owner has a title or state registration, get him to sign the back of the registration form transferring ownership to you. When dealing with DNR and Wildlife and Fisheries officials, they are anal about the paperwork being correct and most will not deviate from the department's policies. They want to ensure that all taxes have been paid on the boat! It can be frustrating dealing with the Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries; however, if you have the paperwork in order, it will ease the frustration. Better to call ahead to determine what they are going to expect from you.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
In florida the dinghy has to have a title if motorized and you will need a bill of sale with HIN clearly on it to apply for and get issued one. Then you have to register the boat and obtain the tax decal each year.
Aha! It took a long time before someone brought up the key word.
TAX. When the gov't says "registration", they really mean tax.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Aha! It took a long time before someone brought up the key word.
TAX. When the gov't says "registration", they really mean tax.
AZ is sort of an outlier in that regard. When I first registered a trailer out there, I thought that my registration had a misprint on it. Under expiration date, it said "PERM". I went back to the counter & asked about it. The response I received was "That means permanent. It's registered. You're done".

I got another surprise when I transferred my driver's license out there. The expiration date was more than 20 years out. When I asked about that, they just confirmed that the date was indeed my 65th birthday & then informed me that I had to come in for an eye exam at that time.

I know of no other state that even thinks this way. AZ seems to be at least 20 years behind the curve in learning how to steal from the people. That state does have some wonderful attributes.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Speaking of trailers, I bought my H260 in North Carolina. The trailer had a license plate on it. When I registered my boat with SC I asked about the trailer. The sweet nice lady said, “That’s something they do up there. You don’t need to register it here.