Chart Plotter Replacement

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm looking for advice on a replacement for my Raymarine RC435 chart plotter. It is self-destructing. The LED display is breaking up. I contacted Raymarine. They don't carry it anymore, don't service it, don't have parts. I contacted two local marine suppliers that carry and install Raymarine (and other) chart plotters. Both said it wasn't worth repairing even if parts were available, and both were surprised it has lasted 13 years (installed 2005).
So, I'm looking for recommendations on what folks are using. The number of chart plotter models available are bewildering. Most seemed geared to power boats and fishing. I don't fish and don't need a fish finder. I'd like a bigger screen, but need the thing must fit on the current mount. Seven inch diagonal would be more than plenty. It is a 2005 boat. It doesn't have, and I really don't want to install an instrumentation data bus. I have a separate depth display, don't have a radar. I want charts, waypoint navigation, go to points, and it needs its own GPS. Given the shallows in the local bay in which I sail, good depth display on the charts is imperative. It would be nice if it would access NOAA charts (free).
I use a hand held back up, and I understand a tablet could run a chart, but I want something bolted to the helm station that will stand up to weather, so that leaves out laptop computers and tablets.
At the risk of causing a huge debate, I solicit recommendations.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Axiom if you want to stay wit RM. You can bridge most of your Seatalk-1 to SeatalkNG or NMEA2000 if necessary.

Les

KZW

May 17, 2014
Axiom if you want to stay wit RM. You can bridge most of your Seatalk-1 to SeatalkNG or NMEA2000 if necessary.

Les
Nothing about SeaTalk in the manual. There is a NMEA0183 interface. No mention of NMEA2000 in the manual. The RC435 was designed a long time ago

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I had the RM 435 like you it failed bought a RM C70 it also failed after 5 years dropped RM now with Garmin but still have RM 200AP as nobody has wheel drive AP hooked to the Garmin 840sx via NMEA2000 so far no problems. About the RM 435 took it apart found contacts needed cleaning, worked ok for a few years as a backup to the C70

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Just purchased a Axiom 9 and adapter plate to replace my C70. It fits nice into my old Navpod. This summer I'm going to start building a NMEA 2000 network starting with my analog engine display. I really want my tach and engine temperature up on the chart plotter where I can actually see them.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is a NMEA0183 interface. No mention of NMEA2000 in the manual.
Those are just possible needs for your system.
If you make sure of all your "interface needs" and call RM directly, they will recommend your size and interface needs.
I use an iPad for remote needs, through RM internal "no hack" boat Wi-Fi.
It has to be reliable, if you have Auto-Pilot.
Jim...

May 20, 2016
If you only have 183, you can bridge to NMEA 2000 with Actisence or YachtDevices.

KZW

May 17, 2014
If you only have 183, you can bridge to NMEA 2000 with Actisence or YachtDevices.
I'm not at all sure I need either. I have three stand alone displays above the existing RC435. From left to right they are Depth, Wind, Autopilot. Seems to me, I only need a GPS antenna input to the chart plotter. What am I missing here?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is your display unit in a pod or goimp get to be "hanging out"?

Most chart plotters today are setup with depth, radar, and other functions which can be "added" with only additional sensors. Simrad (various sub brands, included), Garmin, and Raymarine all work. I'm partial to B&G (Simrad Evo, etc are of the same parents). Garmin makes a very good unit.

You have a pretty minimal need, but you'll need to add a high quality chart pack (Navionics, for example) to get decent information.

I think that you're Raymarine display has lasted longer than one might expect out there in the elements -- even if you're in a more temperate climate.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm not at all sure I need either. I have three stand alone displays above the existing RC435. From left to right they are Depth, Wind, Autopilot. Seems to me, I only need a GPS antenna input to the chart plotter. What am I missing here?
I have a small Garmin chart plotter that mounts on the helm pedestal. It doesn't require a separate GPS antenna input, and works quite well.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I found a picture of my chart plotter in my archives.DSCN1233.jpg

May 20, 2016
I hope you mean rs485 from which 183 is based. Maybe you don’t need water speed and wind info on the plotter, but it’s necessary to have on your network (NMEA 2000) if you want to the autopilot to sail to wind direction, or have the CP determine course based on polars.

KZW

May 17, 2014
I hope you mean rs485 from which 183 is based. .
The chart plotter model on my boat is a Raymarine RS435. As near as I can determine, the autopilot on my boat doesn't connect to the chart plotter. The autopilot is controlled by a separate display/control head.

May 20, 2016
@KZW. I just read the manual for your old plotter. RC435 is the model of your plotter (according to your 1st post). RS485 is an electrical spec for multipoint serial connections. Your plotter doesn’t have that. It does have one NMEA-0183 output and one NMEA-0183 input port (bundled in with the power cable). The output probably connects to the autopilot, The input might be connected to wind or speed or depth gauges or maybe left unconnected.

Newer plotters like the Axiom use NMEA 2000 to communicate with other devices on the boat. If you intend to keep the RM4000 AP it needs to get info on course from the chartplotter. It only accepts 183 as input the Axiom (and most other modern plotters don’t have 183) so you need a bridge to handle the translation from 2000 to 183.

I believe th RM eS line of plotters still has a 183 Port, but why upgrade to old tech (like buying a iPhone 6 to upgrade your iPhone 2 ).

Edit the last several lines of RM plotters have internal GPS units, you can run external GPS’s but they need to be smart - not just an antenna. So no GPS antenna connected directly to the CP

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
It sure is an education.
BTW, I currently use an iPhone 5 and see no reason to buy a new one. I guess I'm just a Luddite!
Clearly this installation, whatever it will be, is beyond my tech savvy. Once a decision is made on a replacement chart plotter, then I will need to seek someone to install it, the bridges, and adaptor cables for all the other inputs. I really wasn't seeking an entire instrument system swap out.