Favorite store for your boat

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
There are several options for where to buy hardware, safety equipment, electronics, etc. for your boat. I believe that West Marine, APS, and Defender are the biggest. Any others besides small local shops?

Do you find any one particularly better or worse than the others?

Are any particularly good or bad for certain types of items?

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Nice list. Thanks!!

Just curious why you went with the Trogear bowsprit and not the C-Sprit or Selden?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Nice list. Thanks!!

Just curious why you went with the Trogear bowsprit and not the C-Sprit or Selden?
Did not want a pole. No particular reason between the Trogear and C-Sprit although I think based on the bend of the hull at the bow the only way to do a thru hull install is with a metal rod going thru side by side (inside a glassed in G10 tube). The side mounts (Trogear does not because I tried first) might not work....

Don't think a deck mount with all the forces involved is a prudent option unless you significantly beef up the deck....

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I am fortunate that I live in a boating community. We have a locally owned store Marine Trading Post. They carry most everything I need and well below West Marine prices. They also have open stock SS nuts and bolts, electrical connectors etc so you don't need to buy a 3 pack to get 2. We also have a used equipment store too.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I also have a wholesale account but with two Marine Electronics Warehouses, one of which carries marine products other then electronics.
Let me know if I can help anyone. Unless of course it is against SBO rules.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have to admit, all things being equal, I shop for price. If I need some expertise regarding a particular part or project, I will shop that store. So my more recent list includes SBO, Amazon, TOAD Marine, MainSail. Go2Marine, West Marine, Jamestown, the Prop Shop and MarineBeam.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Critical marine supplies should be bought locally. For such important, mission critical supplies, I source from a locally owned grocery store, that also has an extensive liquor department.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
There's a place in Kemah called Boater's Resale. They have pretty much everything in terms of used parts, and they sell it at half price. For new parts, the only other place I know of is West Marine...I think they should just have a box at the entrance of the store where you just drop your whole wallet.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That's one of the advantages to living here. Boat stores require road trips. On the other hand, Metal Superstore and Fiberglass Supply are not far away.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Another one I forgot to mention. Harbor Freight. I don't buy their tools for home use, but I tend to drop popular hand tools overboard on occasion. So I keep their screwdrivers, pliers etc on board now.