Is he talking about us???

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Weird, I remember it a different way... There are no dumb questions, just dump people who ask questions...

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Not from any forum I participate in. Will say- over the years the Gougeon help advice has been very helpful, in some strange situations- like when we repaired a 9 foot tall crucifix with cracks in the face.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok... Larry. I guess a seaman coming up to a chief and asking permission to go for a swim while the sub is submerged is a dumb question.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I’ve taught my fair share of classes and I do believe there is no stupid question. But sometimes I’m like WTF(!!!!) Did he just say that?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are only a tenth as many stupid questions as there are stupid answers. Don't you think?

I saw nothing wrong with the forum example in that article. Someone asks a question because they know they don't know. Someone answers poorly because they don't know they don't know. Someone corrects them because they know they know. Sounds like here, you know?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In sales, I chose to speak in layman’s terms because customers felt embarrassed not knowing nautical terms, either or both did not know how to sail and/or race, were not engineers, etc... Often I watched other dealers/salesmen speak way above customer heads. Early on good advice of reputable well known sailors, treat all customers with respect regardless of sailing knowledge as they do not know when questions were asked. Therefore I chose to say there were no dumb questions putting customers at ease. They learned and some are well known. Now I learn from their knowledge and expertise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Spoke like a master salesman. Long ago I learned that sales is a bit like teaching. If your the best teacher buyers will beat a path to your door to buy what you want to sell.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As a former HS teacher, there are dumb questions but to call someone out on it makes you the dumb ass.
The art is teaching the kids how to ask good questions that can be answered. Some "dumb" questions are really just poorly asked good questions. We often see that here on the forums, especially among new sailors.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
However, if you do not ask questions about something you are about to do that will be expensive and time consuming you are not being careful enough in thinking twice before mixing and applying once. !!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I still say this is the best place to ask sailboat and other boat questions.
I learn a lot.

Ken

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Ok... Larry. I guess a seaman coming up to a chief and asking permission to go for a swim while the sub is submerged is a dumb question.
Not if the seaman in question is a SEAL, and he wants to practice the U/W lockout procedure...

"Hey Chief, I wanna go for a swim..." takes on a whole new meaning. GRIN