What to do in Sarasota?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Well, this makes it official. We ARE great grandparents on a road trip. For the record, this is my first Cracker Barrell stop. Couldn't resist the many billboards explaining that biscuits are just edible spoons! In N.C. now,headed to Charleston for a 1
IMG_20190301_104729728_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190301_104729728_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190301_104808304.jpg
day visit with a grandson and his baby,then on to Sarasota!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great Grandparents Dave... You and your wife are so young.
Congrats.
Be careful at Cracker Barrel, the rocking chairs can become an addiction.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Welcome to South Carolina!

My wife and I actually enjoyed Armand Circle. Columbia’s Restaurant has great paella and sangria.

My favorite part was shelling on the beaches. I had a gorgeous necklace made that had one of the shells from there along with some white pearls and a conch pearl. I got the conch pearl in 2005 on our honeymoon in the Bahamas and had never done anything with it. The white sand beaches are spectacularly white.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
They do like handouts.

Oops, that's a croc. Oh well, gators like them too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
Don, are you aware of any good launching ramps down there for us trailer sailors??
Depending where exactly you are interested in there is one on the Manatee River and more on the south end of Anna Maria as well as another on Anna Maria just on the East side of the island Manatee Avenue.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit with kids in Charleston yesterday was a great success. I-95 S.B. was surprisingly Hammer Down Friday and today. W/B 4 out of Daytona was great also, even 10 miles of Jersey Barriers both sides of the road through Orlando. The west side of Orlando was largely 30-40 mph jam, I blame The Mouse! I noticed most of the high end,big houses under construction are cinder block all the way up too the roofline, anti hurricane I figured.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I grew up in Bradenton (actually Bayshore Gardens) back in the 60s. Anna Maria was "our" island, and the south end was "our" beach. There was a 25 cent toll on the Cortez Rd bridge, but we gladly paid it to access beautiful white sands of what is now called Coquina Beach. There was no development or improvements down at the south end, no concrete and rock groins until the mid 60s, no restrooms or concessions. I remember small airplanes, probably Piper Cubs, landing in the grass in the center of the island about where the parking lots are now. Some of my early sailing memories were watching boats make their way north or southbound about a mile offshore, and I always wanted to be on them.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I grew up in Bradenton (actually Bayshore Gardens) back in the 60s. Anna Maria was "our" island, and the south end was "our" beach. There was a 25 cent toll on the Cortez Rd bridge, but we gladly paid it to access beautiful white sands of what is now called Coquina Beach. There was no development or improvements down at the south end, no concrete and rock groins until the mid 60s, no restrooms or concessions. I remember small airplanes, probably Piper Cubs, landing in the grass in the center of the island about where the parking lots are now. Some of my early sailing memories were watching boats make their way north or southbound about a mile offshore, and I always wanted to be on them.
It’s changed since then. Now, you have to speak ‘new york’ to understand the snowbirds. Fortunately, they leave soon.

Jul 13, 2010
Had some fun yesterday, St. Armand's Circle, Columbia restaurant, the statue. A few minutes after our post, another couple posed, then the guy took a knee,pulled out a ring and proposed, the crowd went wild!! The day before was hot
C22E040B-9F5F-471E-8C15-414F13F12466.jpeg
IMG_20190305_143722081.jpg
IMG_20190305_104711802_HDR.jpg
and sunny, Walked Lido beach and Anna Maria beach, the white powder sand was amazing. Today is Ringling day.
C22E040B-9F5F-471E-8C15-414F13F12466.jpeg

Jul 13, 2010
Today was Ringling Museum. Thanks to all who plugged it here. Amazing place, a must see. Had the "John" tour, put us in his rooms and on the tower patio. Incredible place!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Today was Ringling Museum. Thanks to all who plugged it here. Amazing place, a must see. Had the "John" tour, put us in his rooms and on the tower patio. Incredible place!
If you want some local history, the adjacent Crosley mansion is worth a visit. The house isn’t as pretentious as Ringling’s but has a nice breakwater and dock space at which he would park his toys. It’s nice to pull in there and pretend...

Crosley as in the post war TV and electronics company.

Jul 13, 2010
Got it, but time doesn't allow this trip. Busy tomorrow a.m., then a 3 hr sunset sail on a Jeanneau 45, then head home Fri. A.M. Been a wonderful trip here.

Feb 5, 2019
Pearson 303 Jacksonville, FL
If you're looking for more, Siesta Key village and beaches isn't a bad way to spend some time. South end, Turtle Beach, has a bit of character, and the main beach has the powder sand. Being March, there will be a lot of New Jersey culture on the beaches, but there are good restaurants all up and down the scale.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is so great the you can still make her "weak in the knees"...:laugh: iconic...

Fun times in Sarasota.

@DAVA390 Across the water from your “Kiss” is the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. It is a “Living Museum” and worth a couple of hours if you have the time.
https://selby.org/

Last edited: