Calling on all you creative types

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Lots of ideas
Here are a few responses
- adding a forward ac connection is hard as the boat has a isolator transformer that is in the stern so it would be a long internal cable run through hunters grid system as artboas knows it would just about be impossible in an after market situation
- backing in ... I have no problem backing in and yes then I would only need one cord at my dock but I still need to carry one of the bulky things with me when I leave so it doesn't solve my problem. (and just to clarify one cord is permanently attached to the dock and when I leave I only take one with me)
- running 30 amps as noted by uncledom can cause issues with the set up as the isloator transformer is expecting 220 not 110. it works in a half as_ way and I have to do it some times when I am some place that doesn't have a 50 amp plug ( also I have a combiner which can allow me to get 220 from 2 110 30 amp cords but as noted again by uncledom unless the two 30's are plugged in to different circuits you don't get two phases and I am here to tell you very few marines run multiple circuits down a dock.)
- Al Fooks is working on another problem for me so for now I'm relying on this august group
- do I really need 50 amps some times yes if I have guests and I am running all three a/c units, the micro wave and the coffee pot (you all get the picture I'm sure you have had guests aboard before) but no not always... however that is the way the boat was built and set up.
- I could check with Elon Musk and see if the Tesla engineers could come up with a solution buuuut this is less of an electrical engineering issue and more of an aging guy getting tired of hauling around a 38 pound 4 wire 6 gauge cord with no flexibility.

keep thinking folks I know one of you has a novel idea
To run the boat from 120 30amp is easy
Open the transformer, and move the wire from H3 to H2.
It makes the transformer a step up 1:2 instead of 1:1

Half the current obviously, so watch your loads

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron

I guess you could go a step further and mount an external switch between H3 and H2, but the caution would be plugging in the 220 service to the transformer when setup for 120V feed.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA

Yes you have half the power of the 50 but your wire to devices needs to carry twice the Amp load — be sure the wiring is capable of the higher current (and loss)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Could you just use house power and plug a lighter cord in for a maintenance charge? It doesn't sound like you have that much demand very often when at the dock.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a second set of shore connections at the bow. Wired back to a rotary switch at the nav-station power disconnects that allow me to select power input from the bow or stern. Very simple, any competentant marine electrician can install. Leave a short set of shore cords at the slip and carry second set with you.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Try a junk yard and an old AL auto wheel that should be heavy duty.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
I'm a newbie, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But based on what I've read, and assuming you do not want to reverse your boat (privacy reasons maybe?) then it sounds like what you want is just a way to roll up and move around your cord, not a way to rewire your boat. Yes?

My immediate thought was to make a simple two-wheeled rack.

I see this fella online. It's a two-wheeled dolly made to hold up to 220 lbs. It looks like it folds up for somewhat convenient storage. https://www.amazon.com/dbest-produc...ocphy=9001982&hvtargid=pla-309749169296&psc=1

That seems like it would make the moving part a lot easier. It's got a 16" wide platform on teh bottom, so with wheels I'm guessing it's 20" wide and less than a foot deep. Should be able to move things around on your deck with it while not snagging on your stays. And it'd be just fine dockside. But it's just a dolly, it's not good for moving cables specifically.

At first I was thinking you'd want to attach some cable hooks to the crossbar in the handle to hold up the cable, but my second thought was just to affix some velcro straps. Make 'em robust enough to support the cables, and you've got yourself a portable cable rack that you can easily tie-down wherever you need. Tho' if you want something that will support the cable while you're winding it, then drilling a couple holes in the crossbar and affixing a cable hook or two would be the way to go.

The downside is that this think is definitely not stainless. But for $27 maybe you just replace it every couple years and don't stress about it?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
hmmmm if I don't find a strong hose reel maybe and old auto rim with a welded on handle would work trying to image how I would mount it .... I kind of like the board with hooks idea from limbodog but the cord is so large I think I will need to use something bigger like large wall ladder hangers ..... that would work as a place to wind up the cord and should be easier then lifting the whole cord... today I roll the cord up on the dock lift the entire cord and lash it to the side of the stern rail ....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Have you considered using four shorter (half the weight) cords? Being able to break them down into four smaller cords would make them easier to handle and easier to stow. There are cord locks that prevent connected cords from accidentally coming unplugged. Setup and breakdown times are only a little more, but you wouldn't need to heave 25' of heavy power cord around. This would be an easy and cheap solution.

-Will (Dragonfly)

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Get a smaller boat or a crew?
Not to be snarky but 50 feet is a lot of boat.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Get a smaller boat or a crew?
Not to be snarky but 50 feet is a lot of boat.
I’m going to quote myself from a past thread.
Every boat I’ve owned has had the same problem, too small on the ocean and too big at the dock. If I could I would have something between 80 and 120 feet with full electric/hydraulic winches/furlers and a pilot house. Alas I can’t afford to dock it. LOL

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Every boat I’ve owned has had the same problem, too small on the ocean and too big at the dock. If I could I would have something between 80 and 120 feet with full electric/hydraulic winches/furlers and a pilot house. Alas I can’t afford to dock it. LOL
As quoted from a famous movie: "We're gonna need a smaller boat."
Wait, that's not right.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I cleaned the sticky cord with fingernail polish remover then cut along the length of a uv protected garden water hose and placed the cord inside the hose then wrapped with Sunbrella canvas. No more sticky stuff on my boat. I did this on the last 15 feet that is on the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I agree ... I have not yet owned a boat that is big enough (of course my wife says my thirst for a bigger boats should be quenched by this one ... note the name) ... i did several ocean crossings while sailing in Europa 92 on a 44 foot boat and unless the personalities on board are in perfect sync the boat gets real small (postage stamp sized) real fast ... extra space is always handy and with today's hydraulics they are getting easier and easier to handle ... so the real solution to my original question is get a bigger boat with a hydraulic power cord roller ... maybe an Oyster 62 hmmmm that sounds nice ... I guess I better go buy some lottery tickets

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
What I haven't seen here is you don't necessarily need 100' of 50a cord, you will almost certainly trip a breaker.. You can get the 50a cords in 15 and 25 foot lengths. I had to do this once and my ac's tripped the breakers with 100' of cord. I found 15' extensions and they were long enough and worked.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... but you wouldn't need to heave 25' of heavy power cord around. ...
Will, where'd you get the "heavy power cord" from. West says 25 feet is 9.8 pounds, a 50, 17 pounds. That's less than a block of ice. You should back your replies with facts, not opinions.

Edit to show those weights are SHIIPING weights.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Will, where'd you get the "heavy power cord" from. West says 25 feet is 9.8 pounds, a 50, 17 pounds. That's less than a block of ice. You should back your replies with facts, not opinions.
Any great ideas on how to make the handling and transportation of these monster cords easier would be appreciated.
Ron, let me refer you to the original post. I appreciate your point, but ideas were requested and that was all I was giving.

-Will (Dragonfly)