Deck fill o-rings

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
I have a 2004 H36. Recently I noticed the o-ring on my deck fill diesel cap had split. I checked with West Marine, Defender, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, local marine suppliers, Auto Zone, and Marlow Hunter. All to no avail. If any 2004 H36 owner has replaced their o-ring PLEASE let me a source for these replacement o-rings, before my diesel tank fills with water. I have attached a pic of the deck fill on my boat. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I like your stainless steel fill cap but won't a plastic deck cap work if you can't find o ring?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I checked with West Marine, Defender, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, local marine suppliers, Auto Zone, and Marlow Hunter. All to no avail.
Sorry to hear that, but what, specifically did you ask them?
IME going to Ace Hardware, a good one, with the cap in hand, and going thru their collection of O rings will usually fill the bill.
Good luck.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You can order almost any size and material of "O" rings through Mcmaster.com You will need to measure the inside and outside diameter of the existing "O" ring as well as its thickness. Make sure that the material you select is okay to use with diesel fuel.
https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Why not try the store here on SBO??? Until it comes cover the deck fitting with duct tape

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I took my cap to ACE and went through their O rings. Found the right fit and brought about a dozen of them. I change all of them yearly. FWIW

Oct 4, 2008
Sorry to hear that, but what, specifically did you ask them?
IME going to Ace Hardware, a good one, with the cap in hand, and going thru their collection of O rings will usually fill the bill.
Good luck.
I asked for an "o-ring."I took my cap with o-ring to Ace.

Oct 4, 2008
You can order almost any size and material of "O" rings through Mcmaster.com You will need to measure the inside and outside diameter of the existing "O" ring as well as its thickness. Make sure that the material you select is okay to use with diesel fuel.
https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings
Many thanks for this valuable source. They were able to help. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I don't need a deck fill cap just the "O-RING!"
That is an automatic ad that pops up based on the thread. I had the same issue with my o-rings and managed to find an on-line source as well. I'll mention to Phil that they should source the o-rings and stock them on the SBO store.

Oct 4, 2008
That is an automatic ad that pops up based on the thread. I had the same issue with my o-rings and managed to find an on-line source as well. I'll mention to Phil that they should source the o-rings and stock them on the SBO store.
Thank you.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I just pulled out my harbor freight collection of chinesieum O-rings and found one that fit. It's just an o-ring. If it gos around and is kinda snug... it'll work...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Purchased a few from our local chandlery, Boaters Discount in La conner. Replaced a broken one on our forward water tank cap and the fuel tank cap just because. I have a couple of spares just in case.