Universal m3-20 engine

Nov 15, 2018
Universal M3-20 California
Hi everyone, curious on everyone’s opinion about this universal Diesel engine. It has 0 zero running hours. Grandfather was going to put it in his boat,but unfortunately he ended up with cancer. I want to sell it, don’t know a good price to start with. It fires up, has all its hook ups and transmission. I have more pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Attachments

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Reg,

I had the original (AARG), 5411 Diesel. I changed it out to the 3M-30A Universal.
It's a great engine. And judging by the picture, it has never been installed.

So, I would start out @at around $2,000 & see what takers you get. The footprint & overall dimensions are close to the 5411 with some aft footprint dimensional length modifications.

Vertically speaking, it should not be a problem. This of course, depends on boat make & stringer locations.

Good luck.......

Nov 15, 2018
Universal M3-20 California
Thanx for all the information everyone, I’m definitely going to use it. KCofKC I’ll contact you in the morning.

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
Hi everyone, curious on everyone’s opinion about this universal Diesel engine. It has 0 zero running hours. Grandfather was going to put it in his boat,but unfortunately he ended up with cancer. I want to sell it, don’t know a good price to start with. It fires up, has all its hook ups and transmission. I have more pictures if anyone wants to see them.
On first picture left side under exhaust manifold has t
o be model on block above starter.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Alex,
I changed out from a Universal 5411 to the 3M20A engine on my 6.5 ton C30.
As for a C&C 36, this may be abit small in HP as I do not know the tonnage of your boat.
I do know however, that HP & tonnage changes with length & weight.

The 3M20A has been a great engine for me with no problems. After my second oil change & every 6 months,
thereafter, I use ONLY SYNTHETIC DEISEL MOTOR OIL. I ALSO ONLY USE SYNTHETIC OIL
FOR MY CAR & MOTORCYCLE.

If the engine balances with your C&C, Just make sure the water pump has a good filter basket (kept clean) leading up to the pump & always keep a spare impeller onboard. Make sure your heat exchanger is cleaned once a year & you should be good to go.

Also having to deal with strong currents, I was able to go 2-blade to a 3-blade prop. If you chart the horsepower drop from coupler flange to prop, you should have around 13 HP @ full throttle.

Good hunting pal..........

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
Alex,
I changed out from a Universal 5411 to the 3M20A engine on my 6.5 ton C30.
As for a C&C 36, this may be abit small in HP as I do not know the tonnage of your boat.
I do know however, that HP & tonnage changes with length & weight.

The 3M20A has been a great engine for me with no problems. After my second oil change & every 6 months,
thereafter, I use ONLY SYNTHETIC DEISEL MOTOR OIL. I ALSO ONLY USE SYNTHETIC OIL
FOR MY CAR & MOTORCYCLE.

If the engine balances with your C&C, Just make sure the water pump has a good filter basket (kept clean) leading up to the pump & always keep a spare impeller onboard. Make sure your heat exchanger is cleaned once a year & you should be good to go.

Also having to deal with strong currents, I was able to go 2-blade to a 3-blade prop. If you chart the horsepower drop from coupler flange to prop, you should have around 13 HP @ full throttle.

Good hunting pal........
thanks, same to you. one of previos owners downsized engine, but it feels OK, I use it only to get in and out of mooring. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cc-36-1 now d1105 kubota mariniezed installed.

Dec 23, 2013
hunter 30 keelcenterboard mobile
I played $5800 for mine with admiral panel and 5year warranty plus alarm with if it light.

Purchase in New Orleans after Kiterna hope this sad helps. Pad gives me help,sorry for spelling I I've in Mobile Alabama I also got manually,parts list,installation guide.If you have more questions feel free to contact me.