Balmar’s new Battery Monitor

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Another question: I was reading about the SG200 over on Panbo and it seems to imply that you need the bluetooth module and app to fully configure the unit. Is this the case?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That wasn’t my understanding from talking to them at Annapolis. The BT dongle is required to update the firmware, which is why they are “giving” them to early adopters.

May 20, 2016
@IStream finished installing my SG200 on Saturday, you do NOT need the bluetooth dongle to configure it. The dongles are not yet shipping. Configuring is one step above configuring the MC614 with a magnetic screwdriver, with one button to move around and select things using quick press, long press and, very long press. you really only need to configure for battery chemistry and capacity, then there are other items you can tweak to make it match your batteries closer.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Thanks for the update, Leslie. Hopefully it can display at least four characters at a time (30% better than the 614!) I can live with one button and even a three character display but I can't abide the interface having a mind of its own and scrolling past the parameter I want to adjust...Grrr.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Nice writeup, Les. It sounds like the setup process is suffering from a little 1.0 syndrome but that's to be expected. I'm a bit dumbfounded that the settings aren't saved in non-volatile memory. I expect my radio to lose its presets if I cut off the batteries but if there's any component that should be able to tolerate a loss of power it's a battery monitor. I also agree on the chrome ring but nothing could be as ugly as the original Smart Gauge so I guess that's progress. I look forward to hearing your long-term review.

May 20, 2016
I agree both to the 1.0 itus and the chrome ring. If I realized how jarring the chrome would look i’de of got a can of Duplicolor peelable paint in black (still may but much more masking now).

I knew going in that it would be a “advanced beta” release quality. Let’s hope they can move the setup data to NVRAM or EEPROM. I don’t know many micros released in the last 5 years that don’t have one or the other.

May 20, 2016
The PM for the SG200 replied and at his request I posted his reply to Catalina.org. One biggie is he said the chemistry and capacity is stored immediate to EPROM and alarms and advanced every hour. So don’t know why mine didn’t. I’ll unplug again and see.

Les

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Fisheries has just come out with the SC200 as a featured item. Any updates on how they are working? I have a link-10 and wonder if the upgrade would be worth it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Fisheries has just come out with the SC200 as a featured item. Any updates on how they are working? I have a link-10 and wonder if the upgrade would be worth it.
We've been testing the SG200 for about a year and were directly involved in the alpha and beta testing as well as development input on product design. Balmar was just here at a our shop (in town for a boat show) and we made a video which will be going up on MarineHowTo.com pretty soon..

Bottom line... I ripped the Link-Pro out of my own boat and it has been replaced by the SG200.

May 20, 2016
@Maine Sail do you have a smart shunt on each battery bank or just the house.

I’m told the Bluetooth dongle will ship the end of April and was delayed cause the firmware programmer left the company.

Jun 26, 2009
Hunter 420 Olympia WA
I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Bluetooth dongle? I have had one on backorder from Fisheries since January 28th. I emailed Balmar direct, they have not responded to my email yet.
Les, I have two house banks and starting battery. I installed two smart shunts and the starting battery is reading as Aux1 off of bank one. Love the SG200!!
--Jim

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Bluetooth dongle? I have had one on backorder from Fisheries since January 28th. I emailed Balmar direct, they have not responded to my email yet.
Les, I have two house banks and starting battery. I installed two smart shunts and the starting battery is reading as Aux1 off of bank one. Love the SG200!!
--Jim
I chatted with Chris earlier today and they are getting close. It almost launched but a few coding issues were discovered and they wanted to get everything right. The first BT vprogram was scrapped entirely and they started fresh, a complete do-over, hence the delay.