Traveler length

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I am debating whether to extend the main sheet traveler to cover the entire width of the cockpit, rather than just the distance between the seats. I think it will give me more options to control the main and dump air than the shorter track.

I have seen it on one boat, and I was wondering if any of you have done this and what effect it had on your sailing.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I sail a different boat but I can tell you that the traveler is invaluble here on windy S.F. Bay. I often locate the car all the way at the end of the traveler when I am getting over powered. Allows me to put off reefing to a higher wind speed. My point is that the longer traveler sounds like a good idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am debating.......I was wondering if any of you have done this and what effect it had on your sailing.
@markwbird stated it well. The traveler affects your sail trim management. Now the debate, I suspect, is about the costs and why more control of sail trim is needed. Some factors that appear to be in play..
  1. Your boat budget vs other needs
  2. where and how you sail the boat (i.e. do you sail in similar conditions as Mark)
  3. Do you want to be able to delay reefing as the wind builds
  4. Are you racing and want to get a little better performance
There are likely others factors that play out in your debate. Like just the cool factor of having a longer traveler or you just want some thing else on the boat. But what ever it is the really neat thing is that:
It is Your boat and no matter what others say you can do what ever you want...​
What a great country.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I agree with your point that it is up to me, but if I had a bunch of people say the the extra length is absolutely not needed then I would reconsider.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
extra length is absolutely not needed
The question is one of how are your currently sailing the boat.
  1. Are you racing?
  2. Are you wanting to sail the boat in strong winds and not reef the main?
  3. Do you just want to have a longer traveler?
My point is all of these are valid reasons to make a change. The first two influence trim needs the last one is just because it's wanted.

Feb 16, 2017
It's worth the cost, I find it useful at the dock as can move the boom further from the centerline, and provides a massive amount of control in lighter and higher winds. Don't make the same mistake I made. I bought a Harken small boat track and car. 4'-0'' length, I should have bought the 5'-0'' section as I still need more travel in the extreme light and heavier airs.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I am debating whether to extend the main sheet traveler to cover the entire width of the cockpit, rather than just the distance between the seats. I think it will give me more options to control the main and dump air than the shorter track.

I have seen it on one boat, and I was wondering if any of you have done this and what effect it had on your sailing.
The primary function of the traveler is to control ANGLE OF ATTACK. The secondary traveler sail trim control for angle of attack is the mainsheet. In my opinion, the length of the track on a 22' doesn't matter because you can use both the traveler & mainsheet to achieve the effect you're looking for especially on boats under 25'. In other words, when the car reaches the end of the track then let out the mainsheet. One reason I would have to want to move the traveler if I had a 22' is to get it out of the way -- maybe put it on the cabin top.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Moving the traveler does not change the shape of the main sail. If you extend the sheet, you are changing the shape of the main sail unless you have the Vang really tight so that the boom cannot rise when you extend the sheet. Tightening the Vang prevents you from turn off the wind in heavy air, whereas dropping the traveler dumps air and lets you turn.