What to do in Sarasota?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
The wife's sister has rented a house in Sarasota for Feb- March and we have an open invitation to visit. I am researching air fare, car rentals ,etc for a week long visit and not ruling out Auto train from Va. to Sanford, then 2 HR or so drive from there. I know that is pricey but we have done it once before and enjoyed it, ( then drove top down to Key West). Any ideas on events, avoids, etc. for Sarasota?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If your looking for places to visit while there.
  1. Ringling Circus Museum.
  2. Marie Selbe Botanical Garden.
  3. Put on a Sailor suit and Kiss a Nurse in front of the Unconditional Surrender statue along the Bayfront Dr.
A00A2C34-D138-4B66-B1F3-525BC97D993C.jpeg
Are a couple of ideas.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here’s a day. Visit St Armand’s Circle for souvenir shopping and touristy sight-seeing. Go early before the crowd, have breakfast. Then, visit Mote Marine Lab at New Pass. Next, drive over the New Pass bridge to the Dry Dock Waterfront Grill (facing Sarasota Bay) for afternoon lunch. Finish off St. Armand’s if there is more to do. Then, on the way home stop for wine/cocktails at Marina Jacks; watch the sunset.

On another day, drive down to Venice, visit the park, have lunch or dinner at the Crow’s Nest.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Kings Gambit I lie the cut of your jib. A great series of food and beverage stops.
We enjoyed a fun lunch on the balcony of a restaurant at St Armand’s Circle. People watching and sipping a beverage, while devouring some unbelievable pulled pork.

I think on my next trip I’ll send you the itinerary if you’d help with the eateries. You hit two of my favorite eating experiences in Sarasota.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Dave,
My dad lives in Venice, about 20 minutes south of Sarasota. Get to Caspersen Beach and look for fossilized sharks teeth! Better yet . . . call Lattitude (I'll email you) and charter her for a few days on Sarasota Bay. Mind your charts inside but if you go outside . . . . current local knowledge to get through the passes. OOPs! Pam just said I need to bail out Sparrow before the temps drop much further, They won't be back up for a while!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Check out SRQMAGAZINE.COM which has a current list of things to do updated monthly.

You can't get bored here.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Is Gibsonton still a thing?

Guess that's much further north though anayway

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Here’s a day. Visit St Armand’s Circle for souvenir shopping and touristy sight-seeing. Go early before the crowd, have breakfast. Then, visit Mote Marine Lab at New Pass. Next, drive over the New Pass bridge to the Dry Dock Waterfront Grill (facing Sarasota Bay) for afternoon lunch. Finish off St. Armand’s if there is more to do. Then, on the way home stop for wine/cocktails at Marina Jacks; watch the sunset.

On another day, drive down to Venice, visit the park, have lunch or dinner at the Crow’s Nest.
All the above except for Amand. Wish they would build another round about to bypass that.

Sailed into to Dry Dock recently. Place has good character. Bus boy was dropping everything, hope they still have dishes.

If you like the outdoors, there are tons of kayak rentals. Myaka river park will have a bunch of wild gators out in the sun trying get warm.

The ringly museum is amazing you must see the circus part. The rest can be skipped if you been to the louve or any other cliche art showroom.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Gulf was about 62 degrees when I was there in early March a few years ago. Locals said the weather had been cool prior to March that year. I swam but there weren't too many others.

Sep 25, 2008
All the above except for Amand. Wish they would build another round about to bypass that.

I assume you are referring to St. Armand's Circle. The county's biggest tourist trap. Check out the street map - there is an easy bypass avoiding most of it.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Check out the street map - there is an easy bypass avoiding most of it.
Washington...its great for south Lido and going north, but trying to get back from the north means two left turns. Better to just go through the round about. The problem is the oblivions in the crosswalks. I grew up being dragged for forced marches in downtiwn newport ri to see the shops. Same thing, but not historic newport, just a holes in the sidewalks.

Not knocking, it looks interesting, just think it should have been designed to handle shoppers and threeway major intersection traffic

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Updated: first, thanks to all of you for suggestions. Notes are in my folder that now has train, not plane tickets. A few days ago, Management indicated she wants to visit grandson and (1 and only ) great grandson living in Charleston S.C. so, this just became a driving trip. So..about 1day I95 Hell Baltimore to Charleston, a day or two there, then another day drive to Sarasota. Return northbound next weekend is a 3 hr. drive to Auto train terminal near Orlando, board in afternoon, exit 9:00 A.M. in Va., 90 minutes to home from there. Private room, dinner, breakfast, expensive but fun and worth the break in driving to me. Guess I'm gonna visit the aircraft carrier again!

Sep 25, 2008
Don, are you aware of any good launching ramps down there for us trailer sailors??
They are ubiquitous here. One of the more popular ones is located at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron next to the Mote Marine aquarium. It's worth visiting and there is a great clam bar greasy spoon restaurant with cheap beer next door.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
They are ubiquitous here. One of the more popular ones is located at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron next to the Mote Marine aquarium. It's worth visiting and there is a great clam bar greasy spoon restaurant with cheap beer next door.
Thanks Don. :beer:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus:Egmont Key. Lookup Fort DeSoto, if you like a little history. There's a ferry out to the island. Sand dollar collection is normally excellent.
Myaka River State Park is one of my favorite canoe trips. Excellent birding. Keep your hands in the boat. :eek:

-Will (Dragonfly)