Railing racks for propane bottles

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If my math is correct i carry #14 of propane. 3.6 gal between two tanks. (But i’ve had a glass or three)..that would last the whole summer and if i had to refill, one tank is not heavy assuming a walk to a gas station. Notice singular tank. The one pounders, for me would not work. I would have to buy more or refill more often and deal with numerous “tanks”with possible disposable issues. But, my sailing takes me into some remote areas of the PNW. Two yrs ago, 2.5 gal plus a skoch more took us into the Broughtons and back for two months. So, it all depends on the sailing you do and where you go. Oh ya propane is for cooking only. Not gourmet meals but good ones..a little baking. So, I guess what I’m saying is outfit the boat for what your sailing practices are and availability of propane.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I considered that option, but the clearance between the bottles and the PVC tube is only about 1/8" (1/16" around) and I couldn't find a thin metal that was strong enough to work. What did you use and when did you source it?
I used 1/8" aluminum flat bar sourced from home depot, in the hardware section where they sell angle stock and rods. If you don't have 1/8" clearance maybe you can find something thinner. It doesn't need to be a stiff bar -- even a bolt tied to a string at the bottom should be sufficient to give you something to pull up.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
But, my sailing takes me into some remote areas of the PNW.
We carry 2x20pounders on Sun Gypsy. Filled one in Port McNeil and the other in Ucluelet. Got home with one still pretty full.Only used for cooking and the BBQ. On our last boat we had a 5# and 8# and it seemed that one or the other was always empty. Mind, we normally go for pretty long trips.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We carry 2x20pounders on Sun Gypsy. Filled one in Port McNeil and the other in Ucluelet. Got home with one still pretty full.Only used for cooking and the BBQ. On our last boat we had a 5# and 8# and it seemed that one or the other was always empty. Mind, we normally go for pretty long trips.
How long is long? We have one #10 tank and it has enough fuel for cooking about 45 nights out. Just to give you an idea (“typical” varies quite a bit based on what and how much you cook): Our typical day we cook non-instant oatmeal and coffee, lunch is re-heated dinner or something made in a pot and/or frying pan (e.g. fajitas), and dinner is something that uses two burners (e.g. a grain dish and something else).

The grill uses 1 pound disposable gas cans, so it’s not included in the above. I think grilling is generally less fuel efficient than stovetop cooking. We don’t use the grill often.