Thoughts on mod.?.detachable lifeline support poles

charms

Oct 21, 2018
MacGregor 26X tbd
So the highest affixed points on my newly acquired Mac26X (while on trailer) are the 4 poles that hold the lifelines on either side of the boat. They measure appropriately 8’2.5”. The door to the storage facility I’m using is only 8 foot tall. While I could take them off, I’m considering the following mod and would like some additional thoughts on the matter: First, I cut them off about 6 inches below the top. I then take a slightly larger stainless steel pipe (just large enough for the original to fit inside) around 10’ long and slip it over the lower, still affixed portion of the support pole. (I would take time to finish the ends of the new pipe so it’s smooth) I’d then drill a couple holes in both the lower and upper portions to put SS bolts/lock nuts through. The idea being...I’d then be able to remove the necessary inches whenever I put it into storage, but still have them in place when on the water...thoughts?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Got a compressor? Let some air out of your trailer tires. Less work!

charms

Oct 21, 2018
MacGregor 26X tbd
Yeah, if I only had 1” or so, that’d be the way to go, but 3”~ becomes a bit much. I can make the time...don’t want to be standing there the day I’m putting her away without having it taken care of.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You could cut off the base of the stanchions and replace them with separate bases that have set screws which allow you to remove them.... What about the height of the pulpit and the rear railings?
Or... you could lower the trailer to get it in the space by removing air from the tires.

charms

Oct 21, 2018
MacGregor 26X tbd
...yeah, too many inches for the NE deflate plan (jk ~ Patriot fans). The pulpit and rear are both below the 8' mark (so no problems with them). Somewhere in my mind I'm a bit concerned about disassembling the original hardware (weakening/compromising integrity). I feel like the additional steel sheath would work for me...and at the same time strengthen the support.

charms

Oct 21, 2018
MacGregor 26X tbd
...I REALLY appreciate the thoughts so far...keep them coming! I'd love to hear if you think the mod would work or not...and any stories of others dealing with a similar case.

Jan 5, 2017
Do your trailer axels go above or below the springs? Having the axels above the springs would lower the boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
...yeah, too many inches for the NE deflate plan (jk ~ Patriot fans). The pulpit and rear are both below the 8' mark (so no problems with them). Somewhere in my mind I'm a bit concerned about disassembling the original hardware (weakening/compromising integrity). I feel like the additional steel sheath would work for me...and at the same time strengthen the support.
Sorry to break the news to you, but the Mac 26x rigging is not particularly robust.... anywhere. Slipping a heavier tube over the existing stanchions without reinforcing the bases would almost guarantee a failure. You need to examine the bases from under the deck to see the problem. If you simply converted to a heavier, welded base and comparable tube.... you would have a much stronger system and solve the height problem also. Simply disconnect the gate, loosen the set screws and lift out the tubes from the bases. Don't Rube Goldberg a solution for this problem when a viable one already exists.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
How about A smaller set of tires and wheels? I am not a fan of modifying the stanchions.

charms

Oct 21, 2018
MacGregor 26X tbd
I may have found the solution...Sea-Dog SS Stanchion Caps. I’d just need to take 4 inches off the top of each pole.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... They measure appropriately 8’2.5”. The door to the storage facility I’m using is only 8 foot tall. ...?
Is this YOUR building- or one that you could dig trenches for the wheels to utilize? Maybe refill the trenches after spring launch?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If the stanchions are aft of the tires, raise the hitch high, if forward lower it as much as possible.

Jan 5, 2017
Rig-Right does have replacement stanchions as short as 18 inches if that helps. Not sure how long yours are.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
How about taking the wheels off and setting the hubs on a pair of car dollies to roll in and out? It would be a good time to service the bearings, too!