Anyone have experience with Totalboat bottom paint?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ablative paints and trailers do not go well together, but not for why you'd think, the coating is meant to "wear away" and does so rather immediately when the bunks touch the hull. If you're going to trailer most of the time, consider a hard coating.
+1
Pettit Vivid worked well on my Mac26S. Freshwater reservoir.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Ablative paints and trailers do not go well together, but not for why you'd think, the coating is meant to "wear away" and does so rather immediately when the bunks touch the hull. If you're going to trailer most of the time, consider a hard coating.
Exactly the opposite is true on this point.
https://www.bottompaintstore.com/bl...ence-hard-bottom-paint-ablative-bottom-paint/
From the article. So many people get this wrong.

Hard bottom paint is generally used on boats when the boat sits for long periods of time without moving at all, or there is little movement of water (current/ tide) around the boat. You should not use a hard paint if you boat comes out of the water such as on a trailer, or a lift. After 72 hours, the hard bottom paint will oxidize on the outer surface from the air and becomes ineffective. If you are trailering your boat, or keep it on a lift you should always use an ablative bottom paint

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
I'm using Starboard bunk slides now (loving this mod) so maybe it will take a little longer to wear through the bottom paint.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you are trailering your boat, or keep it on a lift you should always use an ablative bottom paint
I switched from VC17 to Micron CSC after redoing the barrier coat and have been very much less than impressed with the performance. The trailer bunks wore through it by the time it went to the lake.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And, while the logic in that article is leaning heavily towards that manufacturer's product, what they fail to address is the regionalization of particular activities. Up here in the (soon to be) frozen north, people usually use VC17, and there is a can or two available at crane-in to apply some to the areas where the pads are/were while the boat is in the slings. Not ideal, but better than nothing. I found through two seasons of in and out that the Micron wore so much more poorly than the VC17 that I am considering complete removal of the Micron and going back to VC17.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Just remembered I had this. OP asked about "JD Select" nothing about trailering on it. The Underdog said for trailering.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Well.. Two coats of Totalboat bottom paint was ineffective in the Indian River Lagoon. It only took two months to build up a three inch thick carpet of growth. It scrapped off easy enough but what an awful smelly mess. So did I do something wrong? Is there nothing that can withstand the environment in the South Florida ICW?