Instruments

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Hi,

I am a new owner and am still waiting for delivery of my new boat.

I am debating what types of instruments people are using on the Capri 22. I am coming from a larger boat, J/120, and think that I may have a bit of a big boat mentality.

I would like to install a GPS based knot meter, a digital compass and a depth sounder on the mast. I need to confirm that there is room. I can use my iPad for a chart plotter.

What are you all using for speed and compass? Do you have depth sounders for cruising in unfamiliar areas?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Jul 28, 2016
I too came to the Capri 22 from a bigger boat. On my previous boat I had a TackTick tactical compass mounted on a mast bracket, plus wind/speed/depth with dedicated displays that were mounted on the cabin bulkhead, and a 9" GPS chart plotter mounted on a swivel arm in the companionway.

Fast forward to my Capri, I have depth and speed in a single multi-function display mounted on the cabin bulkhead, and a B&G Vulcan 4" GPS/Chartplotter. Currently I only have a windex and tell-tales for wind. The boat has limited space, and limited electrical capacity. I don't even have a fixed VHF at this point, instead using a handheld. The mast does not have much space for mounting instruments, particularly if you have a rigid vang (I have a Boomkicker), so don't expect to be able to do much there.

If I were starting from scratch, I would likely go with a larger Vulcan 7" screen. The Vulcan is actually a multi-function device, and if interfaced with the right transducers, will provide all the information that you can imagine (wind, flux-gate compass, water depth, bottom contours, water temperature, boat speed, etc. in addition to all of the normal GPS functions)

All of that said, one of the reasons I wanted to downsize was to simplify the sailing experience. These boats sail much more like a dingy than a keelboat. I would suggest you might want to do some "seat of the pants" sailing, and then decide what you want to ad.

Feb 16, 2017
Because I plan on short and full crew long distance downhill sailing I stepped up for a bit more. I installed the B&G Triton II system with Speed, Depth, Temp, Wind speed and direction. I also opted for the ZG100 GPS antenna, which I mounted under the cockpit floor. The antenna gives me true wind and current direction as well.
All of this is connected via NEMA 2000 to a Zeus 3 7'' MFD using Navionics Marine+Lakes Platinum. At this point, the only item that is missing is the Autopilot which will be ST2000.
I don't think it is possible to get more value and better mapping for the money.
The problem with all of the wireless technology is when battery levels of each item are not equal to the master display it will dump the low battery level items. I have direct experience with this using Micronet and or Tacktick systems.
I will not even think about using Raymarine, the reason being the technology is getting old and Seatalk just fails all of the time.
I also mounted my speed transducer at the centerline of the boat. I am using a clear inspection port to fill the hole. I described my procedures below:

1. I drilled a 3/16'' hole from the outside up thru the liner.
  2. I then measured, made a circle on the liner of the interior, I used the clear plastic insert of the inspection port for the template.
  3. Then I cut a 6'' hole in the liner using a jigsaw.
  4. I then cut a washer out of the liner as a backing plate for the nut for the thru hull bulkhead.
  5. Used a 3'' hole saw to create an outside ring of the bulkhead to create a semi-flush mounting.
  6. used a 2 1/4 '' hole saw for the bulkhead hole.
  7. Used Dremel tool to remove the remaining material from to hole outer ring, removed as necessary to create the semi-flush finish.
  8. Used 5200 a lot of it for the outside sealant.
  9. Mixed a batch of Milled Fibers with West System epoxy applied this to fill the gap between backing plate and hull.
  10. There is a height issue of the transducer, so I am making a riser for the inspection port of 3/4'' with a 1'' angled bevel.
The result of this install is consistent boat speed and equal depth readings on both tacks, there is enough angle in the hull to radically affect the depth sounder if it's not on the centerline, where I sail it is imperative that depth is accurate.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Thank you all for your responses.

I am leaning toward a B&G Vulcan 7 or 9 (if it fits) in the bulkhead. I tend to like the input from the instruments to confirm what I am feeling on the boat and to give more objective data when I feel like I am trimmed wrong.

Has anyone used the Zeus 3 system instead of the Vulcan system? Is there a good reason to spend the extra money, if I am not planning to race?

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I forgot to mention that I need to make these decisions now because once I take delivery of the boat it will be moved over 100 miles from the nearest B&G dealer. Lake George is not very sailboat service friendly.

Feb 16, 2017
I wanted certain features of the Zeus 3, The Vulcan will not be supported as long as the Zeus 3 that is my primary reasoning.
I used a swing arm mount from Ram, it weighs a bit but is very robust. serves inside and outside use nicely.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I wanted certain features of the Zeus 3, The Vulcan will not be supported as long as the Zeus 3 that is my primary reasoning.
I used a swing arm mount from Ram, it weighs a bit but is very robust. serves inside and outside use nicely.
I personally think this is overkill (but obviously works for you) as the space to mount stuff in the cockpit is pretty limited and things start to get in the way quickly .... For charting I use my iPhone/iPad if need be. I have a 100W mobile solar panel stashed away in the cabin that I can use to recharge batteries if and when I go on an overnight.... Also have some hardcopies of charts in my area in the boat..... Good luck and please do post pictures.....

Feb 16, 2017
Sure, some may think it's overkill. But I have set my boat up in a way that corrects some major design flaws about the boat. Sure we can have charts down below, pay for new charts every 6 months or so, one good wave or bounce and the phone is dead or gone. (I have experience with both). I prefer to not worry about things like that. I will say this using an iPad can work but has lots of issues during rough conditions (another difference between the Zeus and Vulcan).
I myself don't sail with the crib board with some survival kit mounted on it. I have knocked the boat down so hard the winches and windows were underwater, no water down below. I know this, as I was on the leeward side the boat during the knockdown (540 sf asymmetrical spinnaker up in 25 knots of breeze, it came back up, it surprised me, to say the least.
And the biggest reason I like the Zeus, I can wear Polarized sunglasses and still see the screen, that's a big issue!
Oh! for power I use (2) 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries located in the aft section of the V-Berth. I have lots and lots and lots of amp hours, but for day racing I use a small 12v car battery.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
No criticsim intended.... I only had water coming into the cockpit over the sides during sailing so far (and submerged/killed my iPhone 6 along the way....)....

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I've been using a Garmen 76 Cx for the last decade. Has map with speed and a compass with the push of a button. Waterproof and floats so no worries there. The unit is incredibly rugged as it flies across the deck whenever I heel more than about 25%, which was a lot on my Hunter 23.5. My sailing is only day sailing on the Hudson river which I know every cove and shallow. The GPS is for confirmation of exactly where I am but to date only once needed it when I got into an eddy off Jones Point and the GPS said you are nearing shore faster than you realize buddy, turn on the iron spinnaker. I needed it.
My new C22 has a Garmin plotter but just bought a new Garmen 78 sc as a backup. (Taking the 76 to Florida for my Catalina expo 14.2) As my grandmother always said "that's why you have two b***s". Wise woman!
I would like depth for exploring elsewhere but find the charts to be reliable for both the Hudson and Boca Ciaga Bay where I sail. Making my own depth limits in FL by marking every time the swing keel rubs bottom. Over the last 2 years I have a very good set of limits to avoid rubbing bottom.
Sail the boat for a month or so before deciding if you need instruments. You may find minimal is best for a small boat. A hand held GPS, however, is something I would recommend if for SOG only to see the effects of sail trim in real time.