Last Rum Race of 2018 on Galveston Bay

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Weather cleared up enough for us to race in the last GBCA Rum Race of 2018 yesterday. Figured out half way through the race we've been having issues with the feathering prop for I don't know how long. When I finally got it to engage, it seemed like we gained a knot in speed.
We got passed to windward by a J130 on the second leg and had the wildest vortex or wind shift in his shadow, at about 3:00 in the video.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Bill, do your traveler line bags on your arch supports work well? If so do you remember the model.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill, do your traveler line bags on your arch supports work well? If so do you remember the model.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, they are Blue Performance deluxe sea rail bags, and I just looked on Defender and it looks like they've changed them up and raised the price. I do like the bags, I keep the traveler lines, jib furling line, spinnaker sheets, and dock line in the bottom of one just in case. keeps the cockpit clutter down. But, they mildew too easy and need cleaning constantly. the light grey sunbrella on my boat in contrast never mildews. And they are designed to go on a lifeline or a 1" pulpit rail. The 1 1/4" cross rail on the arch is too big, so I hang the bags on a 1/4" diameter aluminum rod with a loop on each end that is velcroed to the arch cross brace. I've got 7 Blue performance bags hanging in the cockpit and companionway, but I'm a little OCD about organization. I can probably get some custom bags made for about the same price.