86 Hunter 31 Spinnaker Install

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
I went up the mast to install a spinnaker halyard today and was unsuccessful. I'm having trouble getting the pul rope / messenger over both shelves that are at the mast head. Does anyone have a drawing of the mast head that may help me? Anyone have any tips that have worked for them? Thank you in advance

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
If you have been up there you should have seen the cap . it's removable to access the inner shelves I open the top Philips screws may be flat because your boat 86 but should be Philips take both screw drives up there open the mast head light is attached to top and maybe vhf antenna set to side drop messenger string with a small fishing weight straight down over shelve and have helper at bottom mast fish out bottom with wire with small hook on end then feed string thru slot to perch shelve and drop to assistant down below put cap back on . Lots of picts on this site and google

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Are you just now installing the messenger? And it sounds like from the jib side, ito the mast then down? My slip neighbor pulled a halyard out with a messenger tied on. Tried to pull the new line up the mast then out the front. He couldn't do it. He thought I was pulling his leg when I said he was doing it backward- he should pull the new line in from the jib side, then down the mast. It can make a difference as to which way the messenger/line junction can make the tight turn around the masthead sheaves.

Jul 12, 2004
- - barnget bay
I went up the mast to install a spinnaker halyard today and was unsuccessful. I'm having trouble getting the pul rope / messenger over both shelves that are at the mast head. Does anyone have a drawing of the mast head that may help me? Anyone have any tips that have worked for them? Thank you in advance
Sir
Do you have an ISOMAT mast?- I do on my 1984 hunter 31. My mast was down I ran new halyards. Mine had 3 sets of pulleys on top. I had the original manual (mostly in French) I mistakenly looped my jib halyard over the 2 front pulleys . I later found a US company that makes replacement sheaves and other parts. I read on their web site that the 2 middle pulleys are for Spinnakers that somehow come out of the mast in the front 1/2 up. the 2 front pulleys are for jib halyard and come out on the sides.

Hope this helps

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
Captain John. Thank you for the response. I do believe that it is an ISOMAT. When I was up top it seemed like there were two sheeves next two each other (one being occupied by the Job halyard) and two smaller shelves directly above the two I just referenced. It looks like the jib halyard went over one of the sleeves into the mast and then over a second prior to going down the mast. I tried to get the cover off but the screws are stripped. I wish I could find a drawing so I have an idea of what is going on in there before I go up next time. I will try to get the screws with a pair of vice grips. Thanks again

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have this project on my to do list. please document and take pictures if at all possible. let us know how it goes.

Jul 12, 2004
- - barnget bay
Captain John. Thank you for the response. I do believe that it is an ISOMAT. When I was up top it seemed like there were two sheeves next two each other (one being occupied by the Job halyard) and two smaller shelves directly above the two I just referenced. It looks like the jib halyard went over one of the sleeves into the mast and then over a second prior to going down the mast. I tried to get the cover off but the screws are stripped. I wish I could find a drawing so I have an idea of what is going on in there before I go up next time. I will try to get the screws with a pair of vice grips. Thanks again[/QUOTED

Jul 12, 2004
- - barnget bay
The web site is www.rig-rite.com What you need to know is the Diameter ;width and shape they make 4 or 5 different extrusions This determining what Mast head you have. I found this out after rerunning my halyards. The boat never had Jib halyards (have a Roller Furl) I installed in case I wanted them later. From the Rig-Rite site I found out the mast is designed to have 6 halyards 2 jib 2 spinnaker 2 main. I ran the Jib halyards over the 2 front sheaves (this is incorrect) Ups!

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
I'm headed to the boat on Friday to try again to run the spinnaker halyard. I found the attached image that helped me have a better idea of whats going on up there. My one question (may be a stupid one), do I have anything to worry about if I remove the masthead plate while being attached to the main halyard? I assume all of the halyards and stays provide downward pressure on the shelves so I should be good. Thank you

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
From the Rig-Rite site I found out the mast is designed to have 6 halyards 2 jib 2 spinnaker 2 main. I ran the Jib halyards over the 2 front sheaves (this is incorrect) Ups!
I don't see how my 1983 H31 could have six halyards, as there are only 4 sheaves at the bottom of the mast to lead lines out, two on each side. I have not opened the top of the mast yet to see what sheaves are there.

2015-11-27 15.27.55.jpg

Aug 2, 2014
Hunter H31 VISA
I don't see how my 1983 H31 could have six halyards, as there are only 4 sheaves at the bottom of the mast to lead lines out, two on each side. I have not opened the top of the mast yet to see what sheaves are there.

View attachment 125580
Pateco - I was unable to take the screws off the mast head but was still successful in running the spinnaker halyard. The mast head is setup for 6 halyards (2 main, 2 Spin, 2 Jib) but the mast sheeves at the bottom of the mast only accommodate four halyards. Here is how I ran the spinnaker halyard
1) I used a 12" length of bent stranded wire to run over the first and second roller using the the bend on the wire to point down the mast.
2) I then used the hole on the side of the mast (see picture) to fish the wire out and then I pulled a string over the rollers with the wire.
3) From there I tied two nuts on the string and dropped it down the mast and recovered it at the bottom.
4) Then after 4 trips up and down the mast I was able to pull the spinnaker through.

All and all it wasn't bad but I think I got lucky getting the wire over the sheeves on the first shot. Hope this helps

Attachments

Apr 11, 2009
Hunter 31 Thunder Bay
That mast extrusion NG37 was used on many different manufacturers boats. There are many different systems, and not all have exit sheaves at the lower mast. Many use exit plates 7ish feet up the mast and turning blocks at mast base. This gives the owners the ability to use all the halyard options should they desire. It is also nice as one can "jump" a halyard during a raise.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
This thread really helped. We need to install a masthead crane on my Hunter 31. Main reason is to have a second line and also so I can haul my dinghy up on deck easily. We don't have a spinnaker.
Plan is to keep everything external.
Pateco, must say I am extremely envious of your deck, my PO painted the whole damn thing! Yours looks great!
Also have to fix the anchor light (hoping its just a bulb), replace the wind vane and check the radio coax attachment. Your pic of the masthead was appreciated!

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Congrats dfisher on getting the spinnaker halyard ran. It's not easy doing that from the top of the mast.

A few months ago I ran a new halyard and new coax. Also installed a new anchor light, steaming light, antenna and replaced the wiring for the anchor light and steaming light. This all while the mast was up. It would have been easier to drop the mast to do this much work, but doing it myself at the dock was free.

On my mast ('84 H31) there are four sheaves at the top and four at the bottom. There was no cover at the top which made top access easy. Unfortunately, as a result a bird had dropped in there and died (I'm not sure which order) and that had to be fished out (many bones) before I could get any messenger down.

I put the messenger down for the halyard from the top. One funny thing was, in order to get the bird out, I also brought a water hose up to to the top of the mast and squirted it down in the mast. I was a little surprised city pressure was strong enough to push water that 40+ feet up in the air.

Anyways, on the messenger I tied a small metallic rod and then had a friend fish it out at the bottom through one of the sheaves with a retractable magnet.

Later I ended up just cutting a hole in the mast for access to all the wiring (and remove said dead bird). I'm planning to have a custom cover flange mounted to cover the hole for strength and such, but haven't done that yet.

Attachments