Keel Removal 1981 H27

Sep 25, 2018
hunter 27 tall menominee marina Michigan
Having just purchased a 81HTM back in July, one that had seen years of neglect, but no apparent damage, other than the leaky keel bolts at keel,,and the stress cracks in the bilge,,This leads me to believe she ran aground hard at sometime,, 6 of the 8 nuts were loose. Resealed and Retightened to specs and the leak stop at rest but started again once she sailed, Now there is Black ooze coming up from under washers???
Looks like a keel removal is in order; MY question is;
Is there a balsa core in the keel step? Some say it's solid glass, others say wood?
There is a lot of compression bends on the large washers, (cupped downward) an experience boat restoration guy in town says its due to compression of the keel step and more than likely the wood core is shot?? I will know my answer this Saturday as to solid glass or wood core,

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Definitely solid glass on our ‘77 h27. I have never heard of one with wood core anywhere in the hull.

Sep 25, 2018
Thanks david, that will make me sleep easier,,always like to get second and third opinions, especially on a project such as this,,,just hope it comes off easy.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I'll second what David said, there is only glass in the keel stub. The black ooze is a puzzle. My 84 H27 has a polyester filler around the keel bolts that fill the bolt hole cavities. (Some of the H27s were delivered to retailers without the keels being attached. The keel bolts were installed in the keel at the factory and the holes to accept the bolts were pre-drilled in the hull at the the factory. Assembly was done at the point of sale. The bolt holes, on my boat, were drilled at 1" and the bolts are 5/8". This gives some wiggle room for the keel bolts to fit onto the hull. The keel was bedded to the hull with 5200 and the void between the bolts and over drilled holes was filled with polyester resin.) In your case, I would take the nut and washer off one of the bolts that is showing black ooze and probe the area beside the bolt and maybe the problem will be revealed. Also while the nut is off tap the side of the bolt with a hammer to check for looseness. I had a problem with corrosion in the upper part of some of my keel bolts. You can see my write-up in the H27 owners modifications section of this site.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Getting the keel off can be a proper @#$%^^. Good luck with it! However, based on what you have observed, it might be one of the easier ones. I suspect she has been leaking for a very long time. Slow leaks, freeze thaw cycles and time can produce black stinky ooze, especially if there are anaerobic pockets as suggested. If she has always been a fresh water boat you are likely pretty safe. If she came from salt water, there could well be corroded bolt issues.

Sep 25, 2018
The boat was lifted out today and could not see nary a crack, hairline, smile, seepage, leakage,,,nothing? so she's on trailer ready to come home,,still not satisfied. So at this point I'm stumped...But one thing for sure she will not see the water until I am 110% positive I've found the answer...

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
That's good news. I do remember some black gooey stuff in my bilge that had worked its way through the drainage system. Most water leaks will find their way in between the hull and the pan, and there seem to be several spots that trap the water and prevent it from draining properly to the bilge, especially if the boat is not rocking about. Impossible to get to these areas and they can produce some goo that eventually can work its way into the bilge. In your case, with the loose keel nuts, the stuff could have settled under the washers. My problems with keel bolts on the H27 came from above, not below. That was smart to have the boat hauled and checked though.

Sep 25, 2018
Yes sir ree!!! I have notice the area under the galley always seem to have about 6 inch right at the sink drain seacock....hmm.. this will be eliminated when I update overboard systems to current international standards. I do want to see Upper Huron area someday...A gray tank in the starboard lazzarette, and a blue water for head next to closet wheresettee alcove is,,just make the berth shorter,,at the dinnete,,,,ahh those pesty leaks,,,I'll be dismantling a lot of the interior to access toe rail leaks,,,also engine comp. I noticed most all hoses are brittle and checked ,,possibly from overheating, because the history shows in just sat, at dock or on the hard,,,I'd be brittle too if I was locked up below all summer...lol....

Sep 25, 2018
MAJOR leak found!!!! it's was the exhaust hose as shown, split out on the backside,,so it wasn't until I grabbed the hose, that I found out quick what the problem was,,,

Attachments

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
That’s great news. Way easier to replace an exhaust hose, than to deal with some of the initial scenarios. It looks pretty old and rotten, maybe original.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is again an example of careful examination is better than guessing and trying to solve the worst imaginary problem.
Congratulations.
Thanks for the picture and the update.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
MAJOR leak found!!!! it's was the exhaust hose as shown, split out on the backside,,so it wasn't until I grabbed the hose, that I found out quick what the problem was,,,
Good thing you found that. Exhaust gas could be fatal.

Greg