Unknown switch under upper Nav console H356 2002

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
DF1D1C72-96BB-4C4E-B316-CD6BBA28EE3D.jpeg
A dock mate of mine bought a 2002 H356 last summer. There is a rotary switch just under the corridor side of the upper console that I have never seen before on any 356. I am including a photo of where it is located on his boat. I think it was owner installed, but we can’t figure out what it controls. My 2003 does not have it. Anybody out there with a switch in this location?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Color me blind but I don’t see a rotary switch there anywhere. I do see a white paddle next to the vapor alarm panel.
In any case you will probably need to trace the wires to its end location. A fox and hound set can really help do this when the wires disappear into the void. (Search amazon for “tone and probe”)

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
The picture was on my boat (2203) and I don’t have one. I was only indicating the general location where my friend’s (2002) switch is.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Rotary switch - pic might help.
Even if you found it in a catalog, it might help guess.
Do you think it's for 12VAC or 110VAC.

I suspect that you'd have a much better idea if you opened the electrical panel/nav station access panel and looked at it. Many "workmanlike" electrical/electronics installations have some labels on the wires -- unless they are obvious.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've never seen one in that location either, Jerry. maybe a dimmer for the map light? I'd open the panel and look - try to trace the wires...

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
It must have been the original owner that installed this. This is fourth owner and I know the second and third and they don’t know anything about it. The first Onwer only had it a short time and isn’t still around. It acts like a dimmer that has had it’s light removed. Nothing happens when it is switched on that I could tell. Since none of you 2002 H356 owners have one, it has to be owner installed. When the new owner asked I thought maybe it was an early 356 Hunter item that got changed.
If he wants,to open the Nav console I’ll help him and we’ll try to trace it out.
Thanks for the responses.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
He could join our fun little group and get millions of incorrect and one correct answer for himself. He might even enjoy it!

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Dave: The boat name from the third Owner is Catydid and it’s still named that. It was originally purchased at Lighthouse Landing. I know the second owner who is still at Lighthouse Landing but in a different boat. He doesn’t remember the switch doing anything. I can’t remember what the second Owner named it, but the third Owner named it Catydid.