Aluminum Paste, ever work with it?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu, I got my metric taps and dies at Canadian Tire. Mastercraft are a pretty good brand, set came with drills. I'm sure they still have them. Pretty sure there is a CT in Duncan if you can't find any closer to you.
Thanks, I know that store every well. After Duncan Auto, it's my GOTO marine store. :)

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Funny because, while I am American, spending all of my 20’s working on late model vehicles means I can look at a metric head bolt and tell you what size it is (hex AND threads) but if you give me an SAE bolt, I’m screwed. Because 10mm is SO common, my brother actually got me this shirt because I’m forever going, “where's the dam 10mm?”
F8D6029E-5FDC-4B6D-8262-97C0047FB5A9.jpeg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
No, but an Erector Set came with one screwdriver and one wrench. Now that was progress!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Funny because, while I am American, spending all of my 20’s working on late model vehicles means I can look at a metric head bolt and tell you what size it is (hex AND threads) but if you give me an SAE bolt, I’m screwed. Because 10mm is SO common, my brother actually got me this shirt because I’m forever going, “where's the dam 10mm?”View attachment 157484
You know how when your on the road on a job, sometimes it is cheaper to buy a whole new set of cheap sockets, than the one size you have lost???

Kobalt Metric 3/8-in Drive 12-point 10mm Shallow Socket $8.26
40 Pc 3/8 in Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set $4.99

Well, things were getting bad in the tool chest and on the truck, so a couple of weeks ago My son and I dumped all of the sockets on the kitchen table, and resorted them onto organizers.

2018-09-02 20.32.22.jpg

I have five almost complete sets of metric sockets, but only one 10mm socket. LOL. I am also missing quite a few 1/2" and 7/16" sockets.

For some reason however my socket handles and extensions seem to be multiplying.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Remember when you could completely disassemble any GM engine with a 9/16 ratchet?
I thought all the old “stovebolt” Chevys were 7/16...
I do know that you could certainly go a long way with a 7/16 and a 9/16.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@pateco I did something similar this spring -- sockets and wrenches. Lowes sells sockets and wrenches on individual basis. They are kept in a drawer near the isle in the tool section. In my case I needed 14mm in both wrenches and sockets. It turns out that all of the bolt heads on my trailer are 14mm which is a 9/16th BTW. I'm guessing I drove off with the wrench and/or socket sitting on the fender or some such stupidity like that.

I have about 10 1/2" sockets and wrenches though as well as 13mm wrenches and sockets (which are the same size BTW).

I found this very useful conversion chart at MU.'s engineering website.

upload_2018-10-16_11-53-50.png

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco I have about 10 1/2" sockets and wrenches though as well as 13mm wrenches and sockets (which are the same size BTW)
Unless you actually get a 13mm nut or bolt. 1/2" wrench will not work on a true 13mm bolt head

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you actually get a 13mm nut or bolt. 1/2" wrench will not work on a true 13mm bolt head
9/16” and 14mm and 7/16” and 11mm don’t really cross over either. Good way to strip bolt heads.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
You know how when your on the road on a job, sometimes it is cheaper to buy a whole new set of cheap sockets, than the one size you have lost???

Kobalt Metric 3/8-in Drive 12-point 10mm Shallow Socket $8.26
40 Pc 3/8 in Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set $4.99

Well, things were getting bad in the tool chest and on the truck, so a couple of weeks ago My son and I dumped all of the sockets on the kitchen table, and resorted them onto organizers.

View attachment 157492

I have five almost complete sets of metric sockets, but only one 10mm socket. LOL. I am also missing quite a few 1/2" and 7/16" sockets.

For some reason however my socket handles and extensions seem to be multiplying.
I can SO sympathize with this. Also true with #2 Phillips heads. I’m swimming in #3s

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Brian,
I used a two part Steel Putty called Devcon 10110 for a repair to my Mercury 3.5 HP Outboard impeller housing. I'll enclose pictures of the product.
A well meaning friend "helped" me one day when I was changing the impellor and over tightened one of the 4 bolts that hold the top cover and Gasket to the bottom gear housing. Stripped the bolt and cracked the top corner right off.
Hey, guys got one hell of a grip!
As it's part of the lower housing and being a very expensive part to replace I tried this Devcon.
The stuff is "steel" and acts like it.
I packed the threaded hole and reshaped the top corner and waited a week before even touching it.
It drills and taps as if it was built with the lower unit from the factory.
It's been doing it's job for over 10 years, it's a 2000 Mercury Outboard.
I even used it on a friends 340 Auto Pilot engaging handle, behind the wheel. It's a tough spot to get into and it cracked on him at the hole to mount it with a bolt. It's been going strong almost as long.
If all else fails for you try this Devcon. I think it will do the job for you. Read directions carefully, proportions are critical for maximum strength.
I know I bought it a while back and paid about $29, shop around though. Hope this can help you out.
IMG_1235.JPGIMG_1237.JPG

Feb 17, 2006
@sailcapt340 - Brilliant! But that stuff is expensive. If I had several major projects I would consider it, and will put it on my list. But one can of that stuff now is 3x more expensive than a new part.

Irregardless (I know that will drive someone crazy :) ) I will keep that product in mind. Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
@sailcapt340
Irregardless (I know that will drive someone crazy :) )
My latest 18 year-old's verbal annoyance is the overuse of "That being said..." . Especially when it has nothing to do with what is being said and is used like "um".

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
My latest 18 year-old's verbal annoyance is the overuse of "That being said..." . Especially when it has nothing to do with what is being said and is used like "um".
Our family has come up with a different but similar verbal tool. We call it the universal segue.

When someone wishes to change the topic of conversation they just say " Speaking of Fish" even though there was no mention of fish in the current conversation. This lets everyone know that a new topic is being started.

My elderly father in law created this accidentally by mishearing a conversation at a family diner party, and we laughed so loud that the saying stuck.

Jan 19, 2010
Our family has come up with a different but similar verbal tool. We call it the universal segue.

When someone wishes to change the topic of conversation they just say " Speaking of Fish" even though there was no mention of fish in the current conversation. This lets everyone know that a new topic is being started.

My elderly father in law created this accidentally by mishearing a conversation at a family diner party, and we laughed so loud that the saying stuck.
I love those sort of inside jokes. That is a good one. It is a way to cut someone off and make them laugh instead of getting annoyed.

When I was 8 years old, I was at a Christmas party/family reunion. My Great-great grandmother (103 at the time) was also there and she had serious dementia. The family took turns sitting next to her. It would go like this...

Grandma: "Where am I"
Sitter: "You are at Ruby's House"
Grandma: "Why are we here"
Sitter: "It is Christmas"
Grandma: singing "Marry Christmas, marry Christmas and a happy new year --- chuckle, chuckle"

... about three minutes of silence...

Grandma: "Where am I"

..... and repeat....

So this had been going on for about an hour. I had already taken my turn as sitter and was talking with a cousin of mine. It was loud in the room because everyone was chatting. ... you know those moments in a room when it suddenly goes quite for no apparent reason? Well right before that silence in the room thing happened my cousin asked me how my tour sitting with grandma went .... to which I replied "What planet am I on". Remember! It was loud in the room so I was shouting to be heard. Not my best moment!

It is 45 years later and to this day that phrase is our family's version of "Hold my beer" anytime someone in the family does or says something stupid. Even cousins who were not born yet use it.

Feb 17, 2006
OK, back the OT...

Received my M4 tap and drill bit. I have a portable drill press, but I think there is a slight wobble. Well more that slight. Ha. Anyway, drilled the hole and tapped. All went well and there was no damage to the hole. Meaning, no chipping or fractures.

The tap went in without resistance. Thought that was not right. However, the tap worked just fine. But the end result is the screw is a little loose. About the same as an M4 screw in an 8-32 tapped hole. But it holds better as the screw is sent deeper into the hole. I think that slight wobble is causing the hole to expand at the top.

So my option is to drill by hand and hope the hole is vertical. Since it is a short hole (about 10mm) it should be OK. Then I can tap. That will be my next test. But even if the hole has a slightly wider opening, it still holds the screw.

A few more days and I should be done.