1988 26D through hulls leaking

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
I have an 88 26D and she has two through hull penetrations below the water line. They both leak just from bilge water. They are of no use to me. How should I remove them or seal them temporarily as I need to test the boat in the water soon? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Feb 1, 2011
Catalina Macgregor Hunter 14.2, 26CB , 33 Cherubini Stuart
Ms Hope,
Should be able to remove retaining pins, unscrew fittings, carefully loosen and remove retaining flange. Then loosen (without damage) the through hulls, clean and rebed with a good marine sealant.
Removing them altogether would involve some glass repair you may or may not want to get into.
You, or the next owner, may want them in service again at a later date.
Best Regards,

Aug 21, 2018
Thank you shelled for your advice. I think the wooden back up plates may be rotted where they attach to the hull. I guess there’s only one way to find out. I’ll see how it goes as I remove them with the intent of resealing. I’m not even sure what the equipment that is attached to them did. I’m guessing speedometer and maybe a transducer.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2017
MacGregor 26D Wheatly ON Canada
Looks like a paddle wheel speed sensor and a depth transducer. Should be easy to fill in once removed. The boat didn’t come with the displays?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Last year when we put the Endeavour in the water for the first time in some time one old transducer, like yours, was leaking a bit. Pulled the boat back out and back onto the stands for the night. Two friends who have done a lot of glass work helped us with the repair. There was also a second transducer that was similar and not being used.

I pulled them both out and cleaned the hull back from the holes on the inside a ways back using a grinder lightly (similar to what I did above when putting in new thru-hulls). This cleaned the area and gave it some tooth. Cleaned the area with wax/grease remover before and after using the grinder. Did the same just a bit past the hole on the outside of the hull but not near as far as on the inside. Since the Endeavour has a much thicker hull than a Mac the sides of the hole were also cleaned and roughed up some.

Our friends mixed up some epoxy and took about 4 layers of glass and glassed over the hole from the inside. Then as it kicked just a bit one of them held the glass on the inside while the other filled the hole on the outside with thickened epoxy and smoothed it to match the contour of the hull. Did this to both holes and it went quick with their help. The hull is much thicker than the Mac so it took a bit of thickened epoxy. You might get by without the thickened epoxy on the outside since the Mac hull isn't that thick. Use more glass cut to the shape of the hole to build up thickness and....

.... a thin coat of an appropriate filler on the outside and work it to the contour of the hull.

Once it setup I put on two coats of epoxy barrier coat and two coats of bottom paint and we had the boat back in the water the next day.

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018
Excellent! Thanks so much for the advice! I think I’ll go with removing the thru hulls as the displays are ruined. I’m going to install an inside transducer for depth and speed isn’t important to me at this time. I’ll feel better if the hull doesn’t have any below water penetrations. Though this boat has sailed to the BVI with a previous owner. Actually put her in the water last Saturday for my first time. As suspected the thru holes leaked a little but I got to see how she handled under power at least.
5BDDD137-32B7-48EA-95F0-6582F2B0FE5F.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The classic Macs are good boats. I had a 26S for 10 years. You can use a handheld GPS instead of the paddle-wheel. Besides location, it's a good tool for seeing how trim affects speed. I kept our slip as a way point just in case fog or darkness made it difficult to get back.

Aug 21, 2018
Thanks! When I saw this boat for sale I found this forum. I’m lucky at least twice.
She’s definitely a project boat and I’ve already gutted and reinstalled all the electric wiring. I replaced the existing bushing in the rudder and reglassed part of it that was peeling off. Glued and screwed a couple places on the tiller and refinished it. She steered well during the test run. I need to replace a shroud or two and then figure out where all the rain water is coming from. Then it’s time to learn how to sail. Haha.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
and then figure out where all the rain water is coming from.
Let me save you some time:
rebedded all stanchion bases
Rebedded bow pulpit (those bases are not the same)
All 4 standing rigging pass through need sealed
The pop top does not stop rain in even a light wind (I used the door gasket from a ford pickup)
The handrails on the pop top.
The screw on the goofy front hatch (I’m allowed to make fun of it, I own one too)

All this and three years and it’s finally dry.

Butyl bed it tape is your friend.

Aug 21, 2018
Great points thanks. I guess if you add all of those up it amounts to a fair bit of water. It appears most is running behind the interior shell so I’ll start with those fittings and work inwards.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Great points thanks. I guess if you add all of those up it amounts to a fair bit of water. It appears most is running behind the interior shell so I’ll start with those fittings and work inwards.
I was amazed at the amount of water that came in through the four bolt holes that the hand rails are connected with and the screw in the front hatch. Didn’t believe it until I climbed in the boat during a rainstorm.

If it’s coming down behind the liner it’s the standing rigging and those covers. I drilled out the rivets and replaced with SS bolts were easy and screws were not. They don’t bear any load, so bolting is probably overkill.

Aug 21, 2018
It was beyond exhilarating. Nothing wrong with overkill. All of the cover plates are loose and the P.O. smeared some not white stuff all over the place to no avail. Hoping for a mild winter here in New Jersey.