Screwed impeller...

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
Now that I have changing the impeller on my M25xpa down to a science, maybe next time I will remember to open the raw water valve and not burn it up.........again.
I'm not near my boat today and will not be tomorrow. But, I need to order a new impeller and I would like to order a Globe run dry. Does anyone have a model number that I can use to order it for my engine? I have a Sherwood pump.
Thanks and Happy Sailing,

Ralph

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My mechanic says the "Run Dry" really isn't better. If you use some teflon grease, like Super Lube (non petroleum based), you should be better off. You don't need a lot, just on the inside of where the impeller blades rub, the face of the cover, and then clean your fingers on the blade edges :^))). NOT A LOT.

I usually have the ritual of "checking to see that the blades are oriented correctly, install the plate, open the seacock, check to see no water comes through the impeller cover, then turn-on the engine, then check to verify that we're getting good flow out the stern, then check to see everying is dry below.

Of course, once I did a stupid thing -- I didn't follow my "procedure" above.
(We have four spare impellers for our generator and two for our main engine. In the areas we sail, there are nettles, eel grass, and other "boggies".

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Suggest also that you use a raw water intake filter. Consider nitrile impellers if you winterize with pink antifreeze. Replace impellers every 200 engine hours or so. In my case I get two years out of an impeller without fear of failure.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi again,
All of the replies contain excellent advice, and I am grateful. However, I still need the model number of the Globe Run Dry that I want to order. Does anyone have that information?

Ralph

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi again,
All of the replies contain excellent advice, and I am grateful. However, I still need the model number of the Globe Run Dry that I want to order. Does anyone have that information?

Ralph
What model pump do you have? What is the factory impeller model #? This is where you would start to identify a cross reference. To Globe..

You may want to read & consider this post:
Globe Impeller Experiences (LINK)