How to find boat model by Maine registration and hull number

Sep 24, 2018
Not known 17ft Oriental
I'm considering buying a 17ft sailboat. Current owner doesn't know model - only available info is it's 17ft, 4 digit hull number - 3557 and Maine registration number B5Z8927. Is there any way to find out model by those numbers? There is also boat picture

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you have registration number, then you have a registration certificate. The model and manufacture of the boat should be listed on the registration. If there are only registration numbers but no "pink slip", then I might consider running away.

Next, depending on the year, there might be a HIN (Hull Identification Number) located on the transom in the upper right corner. Might be is the operative word.

Check the mainsail. If it is original it might have the manufactuer's logo on the sail. Might is the operative word here.

Since that is a nice photo, I am sure someone here will tell you everything you need to know about that boat.

Good luck

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
In Virginia the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries handles boat registration. I know that in VA I can call them with a registration number and they will tell me who the boat belongs to. The guy who runs the marina I stay at does this each year with delinquent boats that seem to arrive over the winter (he stays in Florida over winter). So find out who handles boat registration in Main and call them.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm considering buying a 17ft sailboat. Current owner doesn't know model - only available info is it's 17ft, 4 digit hull number - 3557 and Maine registration number B5Z8927. Is there any way to find out model by those numbers? There is also boat picture
That looks to be a Thistle. Light, fast, active class association.

Since they were never designed to have a motor there may not be a title to the boat. Fun boats to sail, but sitting on the rail is tough, there isn't much rail.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In Maryland we pay ($5.00?) for the DNR counter person to pull up a registration. As said above, no state # on the bow, so most likely no registration. Still, I'd get a bill of sail, and certaily the trailer might warrant a title and tags?

Sep 24, 2018
Not known 17ft Oriental
Thank you very much for all the answers!
Can you please advice how much Thistle jib may cost?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you very much for all the answers!
Can you please advice how much Thistle jib may cost?
How much money do you have? :biggrin:

Check the Thistle website. In these smaller one design classes there are usually a couple of lofts that build sails for the class call the loft. Also, the competitive folks in the Thistle fleet will be changing sails every year or two and will sell their old sails at a deep discount. These are usually in pretty good shape, but are not competitive at the highest levels.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
Knew a couple that raced Thistles. Her coworkers approached her about the fact her husband was physically abusing her.
She explained that no he's a great guy, those bruises are from the Thistle.