2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
John, my banker would love for me to learn the more effective ones. What do you suggest?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Davis

Followed this all summer. Your presentation is most inspiring. Thus for me next summer it is time to go - else I probably won't.

Many thanks for what amounts to great encouragement.

Erwin

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
next summer it is time to go
Thanks Charles, it's been great fun doing this. If it inspires anyone else to do it thats great too. This is our third time around the island and it's nice to be retired and have the time to really enjoy it. You'll never regret it , I'm sure.
P.S. My 1st time around I was still working. Did it in 21 days so didn't see much.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks Charles, it's been great fun doing this. If it inspires anyone else to do it thats great too. This is our third time around the island and it's nice to be retired and have the time to really enjoy it. You'll never regret it , I'm sure.
P.S. My 1st time around I was still working. Did it in 21 days so didn't see much.
Hi Michael, so much enjoy the two month plus cruises that we do. Gives you the time to see things that you otherwise might miss under compressed schedules. Have not done the Vancouver Island circumnavigation yet, but did one around Cortes Island :dancing:, if that counts at all.

Jan 5, 2017
Back out on the water with our company.Effingham Bay light.jpgEffingham Bay light. Sailing through the Broken Group.
Turtle Bay Joe anchorage.jpg Turtle Bay. Almost alone at this time of year.
p11.jpg Black bear on the beach. Exploring the Pinkerton Islands.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Micheal

What is your take on fuel opportunities once one leaves Port Hardy to the west thence southward along the Pacific Coast? If this topic is too boring - and it might be - would you be willing to discuss privately?

Charles

Jan 5, 2017
Charles
Every place that has or used to have a fishing fleet has diesel. It's never been a problem for us on the west coast of the island (35 usg tank ) We've needed jerry cans of fuel when we explored Seymour and Belize Inlets and further up on the mid-coast when we used the outside and middle passages. No problem on the inside passage however. I don't think you would find it a problem at all but a couple of jerries would be good insurance.
Mike

Jan 5, 2017
Took our company up to Tofino Airport yesterday. Pretty stormy. The aircraft made 3 passes before landing as the field was below VFR minimums. However that should made for some good surf for the womens worlds this weekend.long beach.jpg Looking N.W. from the middle of Long Beach.

Jan 5, 2017
On the West Coast if you don't like the weather you just have to wait 5 min.sunny beach.jpg This afternoon.
radar hill.jpg The view from Radar Hill. The thin grey line in the middle is the beach in the first photo.

Jan 5, 2017
Moving the boat back to Erik Larsen Diesel this evening so that they can re-build the injector pump. Bev and I are going to jump on the bus and go to Victoria to visit friends and maybe go home for a couple of days. We'll return when the boats ready for the last leg back to Saturna.

Jan 5, 2017
gonzales bay.jpg Gonzales Bay, Victoria B.C. looking toward Port Angeles and the Olympic Mountains in Washington. Playing tourist in the town I grew up in but it sure has changed over the last 50 years.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@Terry Cox the Kalakala to the best of my knowledge never did PA to Victoria. It was the Coho - a Black Ball ferry route. The Kalakala was a Washington State Ferry. It was the worst in the system, looked good on the outside but drive you nuts with all the ratteling and noise.

Les