Go fund me vs. Patreon

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
I was recently searching old Forum Topics so as to not start a new topic that has been absolutely beaten to death allready.
When I came across an old Topic about Go Fund Me being a modern day from of good ole fashion begging. I can hardly argue. I have never participated, save one time when some friends of ours were trying to raise money for adoption fees. Its radically expensive. So for a couple who desparetly wanted children and couldnt have any.....I came up off some cash. Besides, these are the kind of people you would actually like to see have kids, rather than multitudes who bring kids into the world with absolutely no plan (or clue) how they are going to be able to manage raising kids.

I guess that I said all that to say this. Isnt Patreon the same thing, but somehow it doesnt feel the same? I noticed alot of YouTubers are using Patreon. I suppose you could argue that you are not actually giving money to beggars in this case. But rather choosing to support someone because you enjoy watching what they are sharing with the world through their uploaded videos. I for one dont mind (am thinking of looking into) supporting a few of the Sailing Youtubers because I enjoy the videos they produce.
I cancelled our cable tv years ago because I didnt think it was worth having and I didnt care to watch most of the trash that was on there anyway. I would certainly not feel as guilty giving the money that I am not spending on cable tv to a select few of the YouTube couples who have Sailing channels.
Am I missing something here?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The only Patreon I have contributed to is SV Delos. I really enjoy watching their videos and I want them to keep making more. I don't see this as the same thing as a couple who sank their boat because they didn't have a clue what they were doing and are begging on a digital street corner to cover their loss.
Maybe it is akin to the difference between begging and busking. I often throw change into someone's hat if I like their performance on the street. Not so much beggars on the street corner.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
i agree it is completely different.
Though I do like the busker/beggar comparison. (a good friend of mine has tried to get me to "busk" as a way of getting me to play "in public"...for him it has nothing to do with the $$$)

Patreon just seems like shopping for a sponsorship deal from the masses instead of the corporations.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
GoFund me is a begging system for sure now, but the intent originally was probably noble. Like the example of a couple looking for help with an important life event. Unfortunately that didn't work out and now it looks far more negative. Patreon, to me, is suppose to be for creative talents, like being a patron to support an artists. If you like the art then you would buy some, in this case buying the content you like to watch.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When I first started watching the YouTube videos and saw the Patreon pitches, my reaction was to not fund someone's permanent vacation.

After awhile I began to think differently, and to look for ways to support the ones I enjoy most. It is not always through Patreon, sometimes it is buying things they sell or simply clicking on the ads.

Two things have caused me to rethink this issue. First, I have written a few articles and had them published and was paid for them. It took time and effort to write the pieces and it is reasonable for readers to compensate me for my time and effort. They do this through their subscription fees to the magazine. Second, I've started messing around with some videos and now realize how much time and effort goes into making even a short mediocre video. Some of the folks have really developed their videography skills and I am entertained by them. They deserve compensation for their efforts.

I'd like to say that I subscribe to a lot of them on Patreon, but I don't. Being on a fixed income limits disposable income, but I try to support them when I am able.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Both are fine. I don't have a problem with Go Fund Me, because I think it was established and has often been used by relatives and/or friends of a family that is in real distress. Often times, folks are simply too distressed or occupied over their problems to actually get their feet on the ground or take part in a fund-raising effort. It's a good way for others to get the word out that "hey, these folks really need our help". I don't particularly care for it when the so-called "victim" is busy organizing the "go fund me" effort, but it's pretty easy to see thru those scams.
Patreon is excellent! It goes right to the heart of the free-market system. If you like it, you get to voluntarily give your money to the folks that keep the enterprise working. They cut out the middle-man (for the most part, I think). These folks have to have a talent for entertaining, a solid work ethic, and boundless energy and enthusiasm to separate themselves from the competition. The best part is that there are virtually no barriers to competition and there is no guarantee for their success. There are no protectionist regulators (that I'm aware of) and they are competing directly for our money. I was watching a v-blogger just recently, and I was thinking that these people really have to put themselves out there to make the effort to create these videos. They are walking thru the streets with a selfie stick and camera, talking all the time for an audience, trying to say creative things that capture our interest and imagination. I know I couldn't do it, so I appreciate the effort and commitment that goes into it. Sure, they are exhibitionist … and that might be part of their nature. I give them all credit and don't begrudge them any amount of money that they make. They certainly don't have guaranteed contracts like the athletes that I know, whom collect millions even when they are out indefinitely with injuries.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They certainly don't have guaranteed contracts like the athletes that I know, whom collect millions even when they are out indefinitely with injuries.
And you don't have sick leave at your place of work? Kinda a double standard, isn't it?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The only Patreon I have contributed to is SV Delos. I really enjoy watching their videos and I want them to keep making more. I don't see this as the same thing as a couple who sank their boat because they didn't have a clue what they were doing and are begging on a digital street corner to cover their loss.
Maybe it is akin to the difference between begging and busking. I often throw change into someone's hat if I like their performance on the street. Not so much beggars on the street corner.

I really like the Delos crew and their effort, nice life if you can swing it!

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Patreon is excellent! It goes right to the heart of the free-market system. If you like it, you get to voluntarily give your money to the folks that keep the enterprise working. They cut out the middle-man (for the most part, I think). These folks have to have a talent for entertaining, a solid work ethic, and boundless energy and enthusiasm to separate themselves from the competition. The best part is that there are virtually no barriers to competition and there is no guarantee for their success. There are no protectionist regulators (that I'm aware of) and they are competing directly for our money. I was watching a v-blogger just recently, and I was thinking that these people really have to put themselves out there to make the effort to create these videos.
I think you just confirmed what I allready suspected. I do believe Patreon keeps around 15% which I suppose makes sense because they have to have something for the service they provide as well. Not sure if 15% is too high or not because I dont really know all that goes into managing something like Patreon.
In any event, I think I will dig into it a little deeper. There is a sea (pun intended) of videos out there and most of its garbage. Especially on You Tube. However there are several really good and unique sailing channels. I have enjoyed them just as if I was watching a favorite television show. I imagine people originally started recording for their own memories sake. It would be nice to be able to look back on where you have been. But its seems that the world of having to have a crew and a studio to produce a show.....have gone the way of the horse and buggy! Now days, anyone with a couple hundred dollar camera, a computer, and an internet connection, can have their own show. Which is kinda cool, but I feel like their efforts are worth a little more than just a, "Hey thats neat....."

Jan 11, 2014
think you just confirmed what I allready suspected. I do believe Patreon keeps around 15% which I suppose makes sense because they have to have something for the service they provide as well. Not sure if 15% is too high or not because I dont really know all that goes into managing something like Patreon.
Patreon charges 10%. 5% goes for transaction fees and 5% to the company.

https://www.patreon.com/create-on-patreon

Those are very reasonable fees. Typical credit card fees, especially for low value charges are a percentage of the charge plus a small fixed per charge fee. Paypal charges 2.9% plus 30 cents for each transaction.

Jan 11, 2014
Thinking about this thread, it dawned on me there is a very easy way to contribute to the YouTubers we like that doesn't cost us anything.

Some Youtubers, for example Sampson Boat Co have links to products on Amazon and have an Amazon affiliate's account. If you are planning to purchase something from Amazon, first go to the website that you want to support and click on a link for a product they are promoting. Anything you purchase afterwards (for that session) will generate a commission for the affiliate, even if you don't buy the product they are advertising.

Doing this is an additional step, but it is a small step compared to the work the YouTuber has done to entertain you.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Seriously?

I could go to amazon through Samson then but good and plenty candy (man I love those things)
And it generates revenue for Samson?

Jan 11, 2014
Seriously?

I could go to amazon through Samson then but good and plenty candy (man I love those things)
And it generates revenue for Samson?
Yep. Not much revenue, but a little. A percentage of each sale.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You can also use smile.amazon.com, which allows you to buy through Amazon send 0.5% of the purchase price to a charity of your choosing.

I think the Patreon model is great and has opened up new ways for people to generate content that is worth watching. I don't give to any sailing patreons but I am happy to spend $1 a month on a podcast that I listen to every day. They've set up a compelling model where you can pay 5 cents per show for an ad free version or get a version with pre-roll ads for free. I like supporting them and I'm glad that I can choose how to do that.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
I have over the years followed a plethora of Sailing/ Cruising vlogs. I have watched them become more and more commercial and provide less and less sailing content. The formula for success seems to be less sailing and more "yoooohooo" party girls, or wives in ever shrinking bikinis...more titles like "WE RAN AGROUND!!!!!!". The vast majority of comments are of the "...more of Cindy in her bikini please...she's soooo hot" than anything to do with sailing. These have morphed into "lifrstyle" vlogs, very little to do with sailing, cruising, or boats. I donate to two channels featuring solo sailors who actually....sail.