Suawnnee River

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
anybody have any experence getting into the Suawnnee river? looks like 2 possibilities, a north dredged channel and what appears as the natural river mouth into the Gulf to the South. The corp of rng says spring tide max is 3.2 ft. but that seems to apply to the north channel. Mate and I are just startinng a couple of yr cruise on the great loop on our Catalina 25 SK, SR. thanks for info. jmczzz

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is local knowledge only, perhaps someone from the area may chime in; not a popular sailing venue.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have been up the Suawnnee in a boat with 5' draft, but I was a kid (~1977) and have no idea what branch. The water was murky from the mud and tannins. The current was pretty swift for a river in Florida. There was nothing along her banks but cow pastures at the time. We dove off the low cliff banks, but there are some BIIIIIG alligators in there.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I spell edit wrong! Suwanee River, but I still am looking to get in it from the Gulf of Mex. Sombody help please, local knowledge is what I need. which inlet has the deepest water? My draft is 34 inches.... Help please... Thanks jmc

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Here is a quote from an interesting blog by a guy who is exploring intracoastal waters along the Gulfcoast of Florida in a 22' sailboat.
https://onemoregoodadventure.com/tag/small-boat-cruising/
"Suwannee River. Yes, Virginia, there is such a place. It’s hauntingly beautiful, too. On the Gulf side it’s very reminiscent of the Cajun Country marshlands. The river, itself, reminded me a lot of the Atchafalaya River with it’s huge stands of cypress trees. The town of Suwannee is nearly nonexistent. Desolation might be an improvement. There are two marinas where you can get fuel and basic marine supplies. One of them has a restaurant that’s open for breakfast and lunch and is famous for serving the WORLD’S WORST MEATLOAF! There’s a small store about a half mile away from that marina with a limited amount of groceries for which they rip your eyeballs out on prices but it’s the ONLY store around. In all I spend TWO WEEKS anchored around in the river, a week going north and then coming south. I had to wait on the weather because I wasn’t about to go out in the open Gulf of Mexico in 25 mph winds in a 22 foot boat."
I know it doesn't tell you which fork to take, but I thought you might find it helpful to know someone has been there recently.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Try Seatow or Boatsus. They are usually very helpful with local knowledge.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
thanks to those giving helpful info. but i still need to know the deepest way across the coastal bars/shallows into the river. any body? help please...jmc

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My view:

To the extent that there is a channel, with shoaling it will probably be moving.
upload_2018-9-25_21-22-48.png
As was suggested above:
  • IF there is a Tow BoatUS or similar (which there may not be), you might call them.
  • Then I'd call the marinas on the Active Captain link above
  • upload_2018-9-25_21-26-13.png

• Tidal Range is reported at 3.4' (on Active Captain). This is the Gateway Marina. It includes suggested approach instructions.
upload_2018-9-25_21-43-29.png
Do you carry a dingy which you are prepared to use in case "shit happens" or to explore around?

In the interests of both levity and seriousness, you might look at this little video:

Last edited:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
thanks much for this. i am a retired art and history teacher and really want to visit the places of history and do make some art. not really follow the "do the loop" crowd. if i never make it around its ok. i will spend the time i have left doing what i enjoy. i am grateful for your kindness and interest in helping me. jmc

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Do you have a copy of "Cruising Guide to Florida's Big Bend" by Rick Rhodes?
It covers the area from the Apalachicola to Suwannee Rivers.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
i am a retired art and history teacher and really want to visit the places of history and do make some art.
I am an artist and history buff. I hope you will share some of your art and adventures into history with us. Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The great loop is a daunting adventure. I would guess the fun is as much in the journey as the completion to a destination.

Hope you will share your experiences along the way.

Of note, if a couple of female college grads can do the great loop certainly a retired art history teacher can.

Just an aside who’s knees grace the avatar photo?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Ha Cute aren't they? Those belong to wife and Mate. She took the photo 4-5 years ago from her tube float while we were sailing our C22 up on Bull Shoals Lake in North Arkansas. She is with me now on this cruise on our refitted refurbished C 25 "Grace" named in her honor. If interested go to my F B page and see photos of some of the processes we went through. thanks jmc

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
no, thank you for this info. i will get one asap. jmc
There is a series of four others written by Claiborne Young:

Cruising Guide to the Northern Gulf Coast
Cruising Guide to Western Florida
Cruising the Florida Keys
Cruising Guide to Eastern Florida

Not only are they very useful they are very good reads on their own merit

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
excellent info, thanks. nothing better than reading about where you are headed. jmc