Jabsco Discharge Angle

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I recently installed a replacement Jabsco Manual Toilet. For some reason [binding / not tightening enough / improper angle], there is a leak at the discharge elbow.

My question: the toilet was in the box with the elbow facing "Up" - I've moved it to face 90-degrees outward. Is this piece designed to be moved to any angle?

Thanks, Shannon
DischargeAngle.JPG

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Most likely an overtightening of the connecting fasteners. Loosen then re-torque to a lesser degree.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I recently installed a replacement Jabsco Manual Toilet. For some reason [binding / not tightening enough / improper angle], there is a leak at the discharge elbow.
My question: the toilet was in the box with the elbow facing "Up" - I've moved it to face 90-degrees outward. Is this piece designed to be moved to any angle?
Over-tightening the screws that connect the discharge fitting to the pump is the reason it's leaking. The flange on the joker valve is the rubber gasket that seals that connection. Over-tightening the screws causes the rubber to pucker at screw, creating the leak you're trying to prevent. Without realizing this, people often keep tightening the screws even more, making the problem worse instead of better and also causing the gasket to pucker permanently. The only cure for that is another new joker valve.

The answer to your question is yes...aim it where it needs to go to give the hose a straight run to the tank instead of pulling in any direction, which can also cause a leaky connection.
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Guy. are the 2 duckbill fins up and down? /// I use a Raritan joker, #253, as they seem more robust. Not sure about the cost difference. They stopped making the red ones, so get the black if there are both on the peg hook. /// I took a hint (from JVISS?)... you can turn the twistlock handle counter-clockwise and unscrew the handle/piston from the body. Grease with Peggy's suggestion. /// You CAN lube the cylinder from the joker end of the pump if you really must and your finger is long enough, but it is not as complete. OR, do it from both ends of the cylinder.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Thanks Peggy. Yes, I noticed the joker-flange was also the gasket... I have another JV, so I'll just change it out and use the new[er] one... Shannon

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I just replaced joker valves an my electric jabsco and just hand snugged the bolts as Peggie said. Also can crack plastic if over tighten.