87' Mac25 to live aboard, is it enough?

Norlan

Sep 11, 2018
Mcgregor 25 Dinner key
Hello. I'm considering a mcgregor 25 to possibly live aboard, I wanted someone opinion on this if is good to live on it and how much can I expect to pay for one. Would $3000 be good enough?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Hello. I'm considering a mcgregor 25 to possibly live aboard, I wanted someone opinion on this if is good to live on it and how much can I expect to pay for one. Would $3000 be good enough?
It's certainly possible to live on a MacGregor 25. Good? That's a subjective thing, given the headroom and whether or not Florida has something to say about where you park it. I'd stay on mine at most for a week. Three grand seems (to me) at the lower end of the spectrum for a Mac in reasonable condition.
Would the boat be in the water? Trailer? Does it have a keel?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Greetings. I own a Mac25 and my longest stint on it was 15 days. Half was on the hook, the other in marinas. Biggest problem , unless you are only 4' tall, is not being able to stand up and move around. Yes it has the pop-top, which would give you some stand up room, but it is a pain to keep putting it up and down ( if you plan to actually sail it). Storage is minimal. It's a great boat to sail and "camp out " on, but I would much rather live on my Island Packet.
$3000 should get you a nice one. Make sure the keel is good!

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Does it have a proper head with shower? And as thecuscus said, it's pretty tight unless you're very short. Ever plan on having company?

Norlan

Sep 11, 2018
Mcgregor 25 Dinner key
Thank you so much everyone for those comments, appreciate it a lot.
Sincerely I'm considering this as a way to live but I have no experience whatsoever about sailing. It says to have a swing keel, the boat would be on water and standing up would be a problem being 6.3

I'm not so sure about the cost to maintain the boat yet on water but for 3k I'm not sure I can find something worth it

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Prison cells are larger, and you can stand upright.
There are other inexpensive boats that are roomier. You really need to increase your budget if you want to live aboard. You'll want access to lav and showers, cooking facilities etc.

Norlan

Sep 11, 2018
Mcgregor 25 Dinner key
Prison cells are larger, and you can stand upright.
There are other inexpensive boats that are roomier. You really need to increase your budget if you want to live aboard. You'll want access to lav and showers, cooking facilities etc.
Got that, will have to be more patient and see what happens. Appreciate it

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I own a Mac 25 and although I love it for weekends I couldn't stay on it for over a few days, you would be better off living in a tent if you are considering full time. Just my opinion.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
lived aboard a Venture 21, and a few months later, upgraded to a Cal 25. Marina services were steps away, and my job kept me on the road weeks at a time. Was easy, until mid January in MD...things froze and became more troublesome. Moved, with the boat to FL, where corporate was and did another couple of years on the Cal. A lot depends on your attitude and coping skills.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Longest we "lived" aboard Freedom was a week at a time. Trips X lots to Catalina. Santa Cruz Island. San Juan Islands, Canada. Pretty cozy. Don't think full time would be my option.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm pretty sure I could live comfortably (alone) on my Catalina 22, especially if in a marina (hot showers and laundry!), and in a favorable climate. I'd mod the portapotty to an MSD for pump out capability, and rig a nice high boom tent for an outdoor hangout area.

The Admiral and I fully intend to live aboard our Albin Vega 27' for a couple years, beginning in 2020. I honestly think that will be more challenging than living alone on the 22' would be. Relationships ...

EDIT ... I just saw you're 6'3". If there's a problem, that would be it. Then again, I can't stand up straight in the C22 either, unless the hatch is slid forward. Headroom is 5'7, I'm 5'9 and a half or so.