Leaky Inflatable Boat Valves

Jul 16, 2016
Sirius21 21 Saint John
Hi, I have an inflatable boat that I use as a tender for my Sirius 21. I bought the inflatable used, its an Air Concept, the problem is the valves leak air around the threads when they are in the boat. they are quite difficult to screw in, and take out of the boat. If I use a pair of Channel Lock pliers to put them in they wont leak, but in other inflatables I've had in the past you could just put the valves in hand tight and they wouldn't leak. Do any of you guys know of anything that I can put on the valve threads to make them easier to put in and take out, and to stop the leak.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The gasket should make the seal, not the threads, so the real answer is probably a new gasket.

If you want something to put on the threads, you might try this - https://www.escopro.com/dow-corning...MI_vGY56qS3QIVD9vACh0OSA94EAQYBSABEgIhdPD_BwE

It is both a lubricant & a sealant. It is the material that Luxfer recommends specifically for use on the O-rings that seal the valve to the neck on the scuba tanks that they make.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Sep 26, 2018
Sirius 21 Trailer in Saskatchewan
I found on my inflatable, if there was any sand in the threads I could not get it tight enough to seal. As others have said grease or new gaskets can help too if your treads are absolutely clean. Hope this helps. Happy sailing.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I had all of the valves replaced on my Achilles 8 1/2' hypalon inflatable last year. Plus, a couple of leaks were repaired. That boat was bought in 2000 and has been used a lot--still in good condition. So, it has been worth it not to have to fuss with leaky, worn out valves! Dinghy stays inflated!!