Spider prevention?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On the positive side the spiders left strands of web all over my backstay which were the most sensitive wind indicators I ever had.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We have a couple and keep them. But also have a cage of bats that we let out at dusk..... they clean up all the extras.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
It’s a ritual for us to get to the boat in the morning before guests arrive and de-spider and de-web the boat. Too many guests have a fear of the little critters. I personally do not. The spiders are predictable in they’re hiding spots. Mostly under the pedestal cover, Magma cover, mainsail cover and any line bundles on deck. We have the common house spiders, mostly male, as shown below. Not terribly hazardous, unless compressed against flesh, but quick little bastards when they repel from aloft and hit the deck. One foot step squash and game over. I warn our guests about the potential for having one drop on in, but a good brooming by the Admiral normally handles the obvious intruders. Typical size is about the size of a quarter. Some much smaller. We keep a small bowl of unwrapped peppermint life savers in the cabin...seems to works, never seen a big spider there, just little ones. I cant say we have an infestation, but the spiders are always there from weekend to weekend. Good luck.
F21E37B8-2E00-4337-8670-3181ED97F9BD.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It sounds trivial but it was awful. I don't know how it started or propagated but it was hard to beat. Neighbors might have been involved - I don't know.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Tons of spiders here in upper WI and MI!!! So we spray our dock lines with Miss Moffet's Revenge when we leave the boat for 1-2 weeks; not sure if it works but I seem to have fewer spiders on the outside of the cabin and in the sails and canvas covers when I return.

What DOES seem to work inside the boat and the cockpit storage lockers is this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hot-Shot-1...G4fUnE-XepqOF0u3FTqVK9eVH0gl__uxoCtW0QAvD_BwE

These things gas the air in a sealed environment like a cabin.

These strips come sealed for good reason. We leave one in the cabin when departing for a week or more and one in the rear storage locker. First thing we do on return is air out the cabin thoroughly for 20-plus minutes after stowing the strips in sealed baggies. Forgot once and we both felt sick for an hour or two! Will probably kill us someday, but extremely rare to see any spiders or bugs in our cabin.

Lest you think spiders are just a nuisance for the queasy (and they usually are just that), I had to amputate a gentleman's leg as a result of a dockside spider bite 5 years ago here in WI. Granted, rare but s...t does happen.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Important trivia.. Fleas spread the plague in the Dark Ages... Stop the fleas save the marina

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
+1 on the No Pest Strips. I have two in the cabin and one in the lazarette.. The only stuff I found to keep the mud daubers out of the cabin.. When we arrive at the boat, we put them in a zip lock and air out the place before turning on the air cond..

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have always kept dryer sheets in the lockers and spaces under settee cushions. I have not had spiders in the cabin, ever. Outside, they are a daily problem. I’ll have to give the Home Defense a try.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might try importing a couple of lizards...... especially nice would be a Gecko or two. When I lived there in the 60's every house in Guam had at least one for each room in the house. They were/ are considered good luck. No spiders, either.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Spider general facts...
1) They feed on insects and breed by eggs.
2) They live within 100 feet for generations.
3) They build their webs tending to face North/South.
4) Certain types can jump
5) Living spiders die from targeted insecticides. Eggs, not so much.
_____
Spider reductions should consider the above points.
______
Two times a year, I use a mild insect fogger around my boat and dock. Basically the type fogger that is used for Mosquito control in residential neighbor hoods to control West Nile virus spread. That seems to minimize my spiders.
_____
I just assassinated 8 Mud Daubers who were making hard mud nests, in my Line storage baskets, under the fold down cockpit tables, In-mast furling bearing, under the Bimini etc.:cuss:
I used that 12' spray insect killer. Dead in 20 seconds.:clap:
2 hours to clean up their hard mud, crap, nests.

Use all chemicals per instructions, which do minimize environmental impact.;)
Jim...

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Not even close. Urban myth. Minnesota leads that, more then 5 times per capita than AZ.
Tks. My information was based on a Google search from a long time ago. Guess I should’ve done another search!

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 34 Mk II Toronto
I use a product called Bug-Tek. Its a marine product which is safe on your hands and the boat. Some products in your local hardware store are harmful. I spray the inside of my dodger and bimini; coiled halyards; mooring lines; etc (anywhere spiders can hide) before I leave the boat each time - it really helps.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
I have abandoned boats to either side of me in my slip.
Both continue to pay the slip rental so the marina does not care. One has had a cracked engine for 2 1/2 years and has not had anyone out for at least that long. The other was put in last November and we have not seen the owner since.

Both are covered with webs.

So we do the morning rounds with a broom... I did a night time round last weekend and that seemed to help even more.

Good info though I will be buying some product and hitting our boat and our "neighbors"

Jul 4, 2012
Catalina 30' Capri Bay City, MI.
Been using HOT SHOT pest strips from Home Depot for years, hang (one) in the cabin of 30' Catalina/Capri no more spiders. They say your suppose to remove them if your in the cabin which I've done (when I remember) by placing in a large zip lock plastic bag. Then replace it when leaving the boat. Added benefit keeps the bees and or wasps out to.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ok, getting those Hot Shots for our boat before the weekend! Spiders covered the outside in one week from when we cleaned her to the next weekend. Wish we had a way to keep them off the outside also, but we just wash and scrub the bout for about 30 min when we arrive.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
A lot of good tips here.

We have a web stick ritual that precedes every boarding on our little 22'. The spiders on our boat might outnumber boaters in Minnesota. Forgot to detach and stow the main sheet one time. Picked it up and a few spiders fell out. Shook it vigorously and it was like emptying a bag full of spiders. Creeped even me out. Everything that can be stowed, ie: hidden from spiders, is. Only 1-2 itty bitty ones in the cabin though. Not sure why, but counting our blessings.

Last edited: