Cooking Fuel Flexibility

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
. If I read you correctly you want to pull the hose off a big bottle and screw it onto a one pounder? Took about ten seconds to find it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Adapt...40_QL65&keywords=1+pound+propane+tank+adapter
Thanks @Davidasailor26 . Yea, I'd like to avoid the safety discussion or debate. As far as I'm concerned, and I've read about refilling the small tanks, it's safe - as long as you do it outside, and not over your boat!

There are lots of adapters and kits available for this. Many don't seem to know that you have to invert the source tank, so you're putting liquid into the receiving tank. Also, the 1lb. cans have relief/bleed valves on them. Perhaps needless to say, but they were filled once before!
You may want to use these though since they are DOT rated for refilling.

Flame King.JPG

The valves in the Colemans or other cheap ones can leak after initial use, and they specifically say to not refill.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Oh, wow, thanks Pateco! I didn't think such a thing existed. $14 at Home Depot - sweet! I have a Home Depot shopping list I keep 'cause they're a bit out of the way. So far Super Lube and now this. Free ship-to-store, too!

Thanks. Will be useful on motorcycle camping trips, too.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
They have a liquid crystal strip that can be attached to the side of the tank for telling its fill level. works like a mood ring changing color at the liquid/gas level. Works when you are withdrawing gas from the tank and cooling the liquid. Does not work if you have not used any gas for a while as everything is at the same temperature.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Try using a fish scale to weigh your tank. Might need to rig a bridle through the handle holes to lift it.