Hunter 42 Prop Shaft Keystock Size

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I picked up a new client this week with a Hunter 42. Previous diver told the owner that the prop was "spun", meaning it has overridden the shaft key. I am going to replace the key next week but I'd like to avoid having to buy a large range of keystock, in the hopes that one of them is the correct size. Does anybody happen to know what it is? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
On ours, the shaft is 1 1/4". When I look it up, the sites I find say a 1 1/4" shaft will have a 5/16" keyway, but I for some reason I remember ours being 1/4". I wish I'd written it down. Sorry I can't be of more help than to say it's probably either 1/4" or 5/16". I also had to file one side of it down after getting the prop refurbished because the prop wouldn't fully engage the shaft. So, in the end it had a more rectangular profile than square.

If I were doing it, I'd get both a 1/4" and a 5/16" and bring a file and a hacksaw in case you need to adjust it for a better fit.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Thanks. It turns out I had a key that was the right size amongst the boxes of screws and cotter pins and washers etc. that are never far from me. No idea what size it was though. :biggrin:

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
For future reference - on my 1992 H42 Passage hull number #95 - the key is 5/16" and 2.75" long. (pulled the prop this past weekend).