Hunter 41DS asymmetrical spinnaker sheet leads

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
That seems like a lot of sail for that Hunter to me...but you're sailing it Valerio ;^)))

I think you are correct, that your sail plan is different on your H 41DS. I don't think it depends on it's foresail as much as some "older" designs. Having said that, DON'T plan on the UPS with winds like you describe.
Do you think if i buy a 140% genoa can i sail until 14 knots?
I friend of mine with a beneteau 40 he is sailing his 140% until 18 knots of winds

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you think if i buy a 140% genoa can i sail until 14 knots?
I friend of mine with a beneteau 40 he is sailing his 140% until 18 knots of winds

Vakerio,
If you mean 14 knots of TRUE wind (as opposed to apparent wind), I'd guess yes.

If you're reaching, and pull you main's vang down (flaten the sail), I'd be pretty confidentant about that.

If you're pointing up (i.e., heading close to the wind), then you need to be more careful about flattening the main. and foresail. Certainly if you reef your main a bit you'll be able to do that. T

There is a question of about what's comfortable in terms of angle of heel of the boat -- that's relative; and, there is is question about the tendency of the boat to "skid" or slide instead of tracking where the boat is pointed.

ARE YOU ASKING: Instead of other sails, beside your main and 100%-ish working jib -- or, are you speaking about a lot of different sails you might have to store and keep changing up and down with?

I don't know your boat. The Beneteau (especially the First series) is a different hull, with bigger control surfaces, I believe.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Most of the time i really happy with my 90% jib, but sometimes i feel a little underpower so i would like to know how good is a 140% genoa rolled in at 50%, i am very lazy in this boat and i do not want to keep changing the front sail. I am looking for an all around sail but i am afraid there is no such sail. My jib rolled up like 20 % has a very nasty looking.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
What are the true wind speeds and directions that you sail most of the time?

True wind is probably the first question; but if you're usually on reaches, the wind range is different.

Also variablity of the wind (usually the gusts govern) are a question.

Then there is the seastate -- if you have to sail through a bunch of chop while going upwind, the answer about what sails make the most sense is different.

I have NEVER been a fan of partially furling a jib and sailing much. I've done it when on a reach, and occasitionally in VERY strong winds, off the wind. But generally, I either put the main away or the jib. I'll reef the main twice before I put the jib away. But then, excluding a storm jib and a trisail, I have three sails: a very big main (with two deep reefs), a 100% jib, and an about 2,000 SF asymmetric spinnaker. I happen to have a very easily driven hull, with a very large rudder, and 7'4" spade keel. I don't know your boat and hull.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
@Valerio we can't use a 140 Genoa a 110 is the usable max due to the inner and outer stays that the jib must stay between. Any thing bigger would be a Gennaker and run outside the life lines and back to a turning block on the arch ring just like the spinnaker. I use full sails until 20 knots of wind but they are tri-radial sails made from Pentex/Technora Optic Gray. It rocks. So does the Main which is furling and battenless and made from the same material. Beneteau usually have large jibs and small mains where as Hunter have small jibs and large mains

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
As stated earlier, those loops are intended for the spinnaker turning blocks and I've never heard of a failure. We fly our 1300 sq ft chute in pretty heavy winds off them with no issues. the anchor roller is also strong enough to carry the loads, and would be the forward attachment point for a sprit, too. We wanted tack control so I ran from a block on the anchor roller thru a set of jib furling line blocks down the port stanchions to a block and cleat at he stern;works well.
We have a Doyle spinnaker and a UPS and as Phil said they are very different sails. the spinnaker is intended for downwind angles (90-180 degrees) and the (smaller) UPS is more of a reaching sail (45 degrees in light air down to about 110 degrees).It's more like a code zero.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have also used 110 jib and UPS wing on wing in 4 knots of air and acheived 4 knots DDW.
Ihad some buddies helping on that one, it wasn’t a typical single handed day.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I have also used 110 jib and UPS wing on wing in 4 knots of air and acheived 4 knots DDW.
Ihad some buddies helping on that one, it wasn’t a typical single handed day.
We do that too! I've also just flown the chute without the main DDW and it works really well - about the only way to go DDW with a Hunter (running up the southern coast of Maine sometimes you have to go DDW)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
many thanks, what do you think is the best solution, a roller spy asimetrical or one with the socks ? I have seen many trouble when the wind pick up with the roller, but also problems with the sock.
We have an asym for our 41DS, the sail is mounted on a Selden GX 15 top down furler connected to a Selden bowsprit protruding through a donut mounted on the anchor roller and clipped to the fore deck which makes for an easily managed sail. We are also in the camp with the use of the ring fusion welded to the arch. The only issue with the set up, the same winch is used for both the jib and the spinnaker, so unfurling the spinnaker while the jib is still set is a bit of a trick, but it can be done. Anything over 10-12 kts of wind and you will be dousing the sail at least this has been my experience.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
We have an asym for our 41DS, the sail is mounted on a Selden GX 15 top down furler connected to a Selden bowsprit protruding through a donut mounted on the anchor roller and clipped to the fore deck which makes for an easily managed sail. We are also in the camp with the use of the ring fusion welded to the arch. The only issue with the set up, the same winch is used for both the jib and the spinnaker, so unfurling the spinnaker while the jib is still set is a bit of a trick, but it can be done. Anything over 10-12 kts of wind and you will be dousing the sail at least this has been my experience.
CAN YOU POST PHOTOS OF YOUR BOWSPRIT PLEASE

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Sorry for the dirty boat, we just pulled in from a salty 60nm trek. I changed the original turning blocks out for locking blocks. Cinch off the jib and set the spin, then the load will be off the jib and you can take it in by hand or turn it to the cabin top winch.

Attachments