Waterproof solder wire connectors

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...The mechanical stress test too. The ABYC standards show a tension pull table.
My connection even passed that test.
Jim...

PS: Never argue with MaineSail or :kick: just kidding.
The question is, would they pass the tension test when slightly overheated? Although not started in the ABYC table, the implication is that is with the solder, if present, melted. And I've seen enough melted insulation to be pretty certain it is possible and that the solder must melt LONG before the insulation, or it would not melt under the plastic cover, without damage to the cover. What we do know is that this connection will fail at the heat shrink temperature. I'm guessing that at 125F you don't have much left.

(Note the warnings on the low melting point solder blends. 60/40 Sn-Pb, melting at 188C, is common electrical solder. There are mercury alloy solders going right down to near room temperature.)

Do we know the solder melting point? 70C (158F) is common. It must be lower than heat shrink, since it is under it.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Good point. So anytime these are used they must not be undersized wires for the load. The only wires on my boat that got hot are the wires connecting the chargers to the bus bar (back when I had 2 chargers putting out 80 amps).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If so, how hard was it?
I really did test mine with a small fish scale on board, that I had available and used the Tension table in ABYC, but it was no amp current , albeit a crude method.
Like I said, my use is in a no tension strain use.
Jim...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've done some terrible things to connectors in salt spray chambers, destroying buss bars and wires. I have NEVER had a properly crimped connection fail or increase resistance under load. Poorly crimped, who can say. I've seen soldered connections fail during the same test, generally from corrosion at the ends. But as far as I know, it is unsupported myth that properly crimped connections formed with a calibrated ratchet crimper fail.

BTW, I'm not hard core anti-solder. Once in a while it is the only answer and it can be very good. But I only use it when crimping is not possible.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Here we go again. Does anyone notice we seem to have this same solder v. crimp discussion frequently with no resolution or consensus? That should tell us something.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Chrysler, in their infinite wisdom, spliced the ground wire, with solder and heat shrink, right in the middle of the accordion boot. So every time you opened and shut the driver’s door, the splice would work back and forth and eventually it failed. Poof! Dead car!
The same failure would occur with a crimp.

Both crimp and solder makes a hardpoint where repeated movement can gradually make each strand in the multi-strand wire fail. I've seen it repeatedly on automotive door wiring that was manufactured or repaired with either method.
The solution is to not have any splices at the flex area, and ensure the multi-strand is of the correct gauge so the complete wire can handle the repeated flexing.

Edit: Of course the real solution is to get rid of ALL the wiring, and go sailing. :poke:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Retired Boeing guy after years of GA. There are ways of obtaining strain relief other than crimped connectors. Examples are wire bundles clamped on either side of a splice. Having said that, I've not seen a proper soldered connection, done properly fail. If moisture is a concern, paint some liquid electrical tape on each end. Make sure the connection isn't in tension at any time.

Over heating or underheating, as well as material compatibility are possible problems, but in general, these type of connection can work exceedingly well.

There are many soldered connections in all our boats, but they are hidden inside our electronic equipment.

Having said that I use quality crimp connectors using a quality tool on my boat.

Ken

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Edit: Of course the real solution is to get rid of ALL the wiring, and go sailing. :poke:
Trust me, on that particular project I would dearly have liked to strip all the wiring out of that Grand Cherokee and then dump it in the river!