H260 rudder post.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I am noticing corrosion on the rudder post as my H260 sits in a slip on the west coast .
The post is stainless steel and I'm going to attatch anodes to it . Has anybody else done this and how/ where do you attatch them.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
So no replies .

I cleaned the rudder pose and the locking nut . The rudder post staining came off as did the wing nut . Unless I drill a hole in the rudder posts I cannot see how I can attatch an anode and so will have to wait till I pull the boat next time.
Last winter I painted all of the rudder with Interlux CSC.
previously I just painter the lower position of the rudder but got fed up with fouling on the top.
I used the shark white colour on rudder and hull.
I was wondering if their is enough iron oxide in this bottom paint to cause this ?
The rudder is isolated by a derilin spacer but sits pretty close.

Last edited:

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
So no replies .

I cleaned the rudder pose and the locking nut . The rudder post staining came off as did the wing nut . Unless I drill a hole in the rudder posts I cannot see how I can attatch an anode and so will have to wait till I pull the boat next time.
Last winter I painted all of the rudder with Interlux CSC.
previously I just painter the lower position of the rudder but got fed up with fouling on the top.
I used the shark white colour on rudder and hull.
I was wondering if their is enough iron oxide in this bottom paint to cause this ?
The rudder is isolated by a derilin spacer but sits pretty close.
I did the same thing! Did you feel as dumb as I did when you finally asked yourself why didnt just paint the whole thing in the first place? :laugh:

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Apologies for asking what may be a dumb question, But why would one go and anode 316 Stainless steel at the risk of starting some sort of galvanic corrosion between the two properties? If for some reason I can't see and decided to go ahead, are you in fresh water or sea water because this is relevant.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Graham ,
That is my concern.
I don't want to paint 316 for that reason
I was thinking that like a prop shaft the anode would stop surface corrosion on the rudder post.
Just asking if anybody else has added rudder anodes.
I'm on Vancouver Island . Ladysmith harbour. Warm this year and brackish .

Nov 10, 2017
Any chance of a picture to confirm the point of corrosion. This is my first year with the Hunter but the boat has been in the Mediterranean since 2001. The Mediterranean sea is very high in salinity with no adverse effects. If you are worried, try and look for an anode that will go on the end of the pinch thread as on such as a a bowthruster shaft end.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
It was surface rust that polished off around the bolt .
Cannot see much pitting.
Just seeing if anybody else has had an issue.

Nov 10, 2017
The fact that this alloy doesn't corrode and rust, along with the fact that it is self-healing when the protective film is scrubbed away. Just keep an eye open for any conflict of metals or adverse effect but I'm sure you'll be fine. Stainless is more prone to pitting, that's about it. Remember zinc for saltwater magnesium for fresh.