S2 8.5 Cradle needed

Jun 17, 2017
S2 8.5 St. Clair Shores
Any ideas on acquiring a cradle for a 1980 S2 8.5? Boat is located in southeast Michigan.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I would not get hung up on a specific cradle for an 8.5. It's a fixed keel boat with a similar hull to many of the same size. Find a cradle for that length boat with adjustable pads, like most cradles have, and buy enough time from the travel lift operator to set the pads properly.

Jun 17, 2017
S2 8.5 St. Clair Shores
I would not get hung up on a specific cradle for an 8.5. It's a fixed keel boat with a similar hull to many of the same size. Find a cradle for that length boat with adjustable pads, like most cradles have, and buy enough time from the travel lift operator to set the pads properly.
Thanks. Good advice.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Find a hauler with a hydraulic trailer. No cradle required.

Jun 17, 2017
S2 8.5 St. Clair Shores
I should clarify. We are looking to store the boat in a heated storage unit at our marina this winter. We'd like to do some work and not have to wait for a short spring. Although the marina provides stanchions for outside storage the inside buildings require the boat to have a cradle.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Then I suggest building one, depending on how they will move the boat about. If the cradle can be put in place then the boat placed into it with a travel lift, then since the weight of the boat is on the keel, the cradle is merely balancing the boat. Or contact a trailer manufacturer. They can certainly build a cradle if they can build a trailer and there are many near you. I bet it would be perhaps $2K. I couldn't find many places when I searched for a cradle builder, although any boatwright should be able to swing it.

Also, don't forget Craigslist - in Grand Rapids

"well built of treated beams and angle iron will handle up to 10k load and up to 35ft boat, modifications can be made for any sailboat size or weight. on trailer for easy transport, trailer can be purchased if needed asking 1200.00 for cradle and 500 for transport trailer delivery is possible. email call or text"

well built of treated beams and angle iron will handle up to 10k load and up to 35ft boat, modifications can be made for any sailboat size or weight. on trailer for easy transport, trailer can be purchased if needed asking 1200.00 for cradle and 500 for transport trailer delivery is possible. email call or text

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tro/d/sailboat-cradle-on-trailer/6655526192.html